Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smarties
Contributor II
Contributor II

Add a unique identifier with nulls in the table

Below, a test data set, unfortunately doesn't give me the behaviour I need. The answer escapes me. Any insights would be appreciated.

The calculation, not unexpectedly, will not execute when Lot is a null.

I need to run the calculation for each line, but I don't have the ability to create a guaranteed unique identify. I don't see a way to add a Row number, again, because I don't have a way to create a guaranteed unique identify for each row.

Thanks.

Parts:
Load * Inline
[
Part, Factor
ABC, 400
DEF, 400
GHI, 400
];

Left Join (Parts)
Load * Inline
[
Part, Lot, Price, Adder
ABC, 123, 1.45, 2022
ABC, 987, 0.56, 2020
DEF, 456, 0.02, 2022
];

Left Join (Parts)
Load
Part, Lot,
If(IsNull(Price), Factor, Price + Adder) as Result
Resident Parts;

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @smarties 

As a rule you don't need to join in the load script, rather just let things associate in the data model and then do your calculations in the front end.

Try calling the first load Factor, then loading the second bit as Parts - without the left join and don't do the final resident load.

If you then create a table in the front end with a dimensions of Part and Lot and a calculation using Factor, Price and Adder this should work.

To resolve issues with nulls you may need to use the alt function, i.e. + Alt(Factor,0))

Hope that helps.

Steve

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/blog/

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @smarties 

As a rule you don't need to join in the load script, rather just let things associate in the data model and then do your calculations in the front end.

Try calling the first load Factor, then loading the second bit as Parts - without the left join and don't do the final resident load.

If you then create a table in the front end with a dimensions of Part and Lot and a calculation using Factor, Price and Adder this should work.

To resolve issues with nulls you may need to use the alt function, i.e. + Alt(Factor,0))

Hope that helps.

Steve

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/blog/

smarties
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks @stevedark. I have a solution now following your direction. Appreciated.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

That's good to know. Thanks for updating and letting me know.

Steve