Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jay_pee
Contributor II
Contributor II

Cannot convert timestamps to datetime

Hello,

I have a column in my data with what looks like timestamps in, but I'm struggling to convert these into meaningful date times in the load editor. The data before the . is always 5 digits long but after the . there's a mixture of different length values - Could this be causing the issue?

Some sample values include...

If I add a duplicate column in the chart table with Timestamp(FIELD_NAME) the value converts correctly but if I try to do this in the load editor the value always stays as the timestamp value.

Am I doing something wrong?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jay_pee
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you everyone for your replies, I've discovered why this particular column wasn't converting correctly.

The table in question is created from two separate resident loads  - The first resident load (Which sets the field order and the column types for the new table I think) had the value set as Null() as this source doesn't have any timestamp values, and the second resident load contains all the timestamp values I listed above. So the column type was probably set as string because of my initial Null() value.

I've now set the Null() field value to be Timestamp(Null()) instead and the conversion is now working as expected.

Took a little while to figure out but got there in the end - Every day's a school day 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Hi,

Have you tried setting the format in script?

Timestamp( A,'YYYY-MM-DD hh.mm')

For example

Mark

anat
Master
Master

LOAD *,Date(dt) as date,time(dt) as time,Timestamp(dt) as ts;
load * Inline [
dt

];

jay_pee
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you everyone for your replies, I've discovered why this particular column wasn't converting correctly.

The table in question is created from two separate resident loads  - The first resident load (Which sets the field order and the column types for the new table I think) had the value set as Null() as this source doesn't have any timestamp values, and the second resident load contains all the timestamp values I listed above. So the column type was probably set as string because of my initial Null() value.

I've now set the Null() field value to be Timestamp(Null()) instead and the conversion is now working as expected.

Took a little while to figure out but got there in the end - Every day's a school day 🙂