Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Challenge. How can I read data from an stored copy of an SQL?

Hi guys,

I have some data in a copy of a sql database that I'd like to read directly from Qlik Sense. Is it possible?

I know that I can import the SQL data in a SQL environment and then read it with Qlik Sense, but the point is that I want to avoid this step.

For this purpose I've attached a SQL Server sample database of bikes, in case any of you know how to do it, could show the community how is made the loading script 😄

Kind regards, Marcel.

Labels (1)
5 Replies
vikasmahajan

Hi,

Requirement is not clear can you elaborate what exact you are trying to achieve ?

Vikas 

Hope this resolve your issue.
If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution & like it.
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi @vikasmahajan , 

my customer receives every week a copy of an external SQL database of a company they've recently bought.

They want to read it with Qlik scripting processes instead to create a DWH project, that's why I'm asking here if it could be possible.

Kind regards, Marcel.

jbhappysocks
Creator II
Creator II

Hi @marcel_olmo .

Your example file BikeStores Sample Database - load data.sql is basically just a text file, if you convert it to a text format you can read it without problems. 

So if you actual data is the same format I would say convert it to text. Then you need to create a loop that identifies and separates the rows in your file that contains data and create QVD's. Don't know how comfortable you are building such loops, but from a quick look at the example data it looks very doable. Let me know if you need any assistance.

This is based on the example file, I have no other experience of reading copies like this so I don't know if it will automatically be the same for you actual data. 

marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Thanks @jbhappysocks for the advice. The point here is that the real example is far more complicated and for the personalized looping for each table maybe it can cost a big effort, but if there's no other way, we'll do it.

Kind regards, Marcel.

jbhappysocks
Creator II
Creator II

Yes, I almost figured the example was a bit oversimplified. But as long as it follows a strict logic like your example you shouldn't need to make any personalized looping for each table, as long as the structure is the same for all tables it's just a standard loop for all tables.