Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZimaBlue
Creator
Creator

Countifs with column value match

Hello there!

Here in the community I managed to find a replacement for countifs from google spreadsheets for qlik. But I couldn't figure out how to use this not for a specific value, but for a column.

What I need: count(distinct Column_1 where value for Column_3 is like in this row).

That is, if we look at the table below, I want each row in the Column_count column to have the number of unique values from Column_1 for which Column_3 = banana (for row 1); apple (for row 2) and so on. 

-> If I have 12 stores that sell bananas, I want to see 12 in row 1, and if I have 20 stores that sell apples, I want to see 20 in row 2

Column_1 Column_2 Column_3 Column_count
store_1 pa ra pa pa pam banana 12
store_2 pa ra pa pa pam apple 20

This is a simplified example, in fact I need to list 2 or 3 columns in the filter.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Hi, TOTAL is used to ignore dimensions in chart, and in script there are no charts. A similar utility would be the 'group by'

In example if you have a 'Data' table with columns 1, 2 and 3, you can add the new colum in the next step with just:

Left Join(Data)
Load Column_3,
  Count(Distinct Column_1) as Column_Count
Resident Data
Group by Column_3;

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi, you can try with: Count(Distinct TOTAL <Column_3> Column_1)

TOTAL tells to ignore dimensions, and the field between <> is the field(s) to not ignore

ZimaBlue
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello! Thank you for your reply!

It seems that total is intended only for visualization, not for the script editor 😞 since I get an error when loading data. And by syntax highlighting, I also see that the script does not recognize TOTAL as a command.

Is there a way to write this in a data loading script?

ZimaBlue
Creator
Creator
Author

However, I tested it for visualization and it works brilliantly - thank you for the help!

I would still like to know if it can be used right inside the script.

rubenmarin

Hi, TOTAL is used to ignore dimensions in chart, and in script there are no charts. A similar utility would be the 'group by'

In example if you have a 'Data' table with columns 1, 2 and 3, you can add the new colum in the next step with just:

Left Join(Data)
Load Column_3,
  Count(Distinct Column_1) as Column_Count
Resident Data
Group by Column_3;

ZimaBlue
Creator
Creator
Author

I understand that now. It turned out to be easier, I made it too complicated. 😃

Thanks again for your help!