Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parviz_asoodehfard
Contributor III
Contributor III

Creating Multiple Fact Tables with Shared Dimensions in Qlik Sense App for Filtering

How can I create multiple fact tables in one Qlik Sense app with shared dimensions for filtering, without displaying more than one fact field at a time? My goal is to be able to filter all facts by the common dimensions, but not to create any visualizations or tables with more than one fact field. What steps should I follow to achieve this in Qlik Sense?

I should mention that I don't like to joining two tables on a common field, since could result in a Cartesian product or a large number of duplicates if the common field is not unique.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

The recommended approach is to create the data-model as star-scheme with just a single fact-table with n dimension-tables. The most tables respectively table-parts should be merged vertically by a concatenation with appropriate harmonizing of the field-names and field-values and the the others with joins and/or often better with mappings.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

The recommended approach is to create the data-model as star-scheme with just a single fact-table with n dimension-tables. The most tables respectively table-parts should be merged vertically by a concatenation with appropriate harmonizing of the field-names and field-values and the the others with joins and/or often better with mappings.

parviz_asoodehfard
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

May I ask you to explain with this sample:

fact1:
LOAD * INLINE
[dim_a, dim_b, dim_c
John, a, USA
Mary, b, Canada
Peter, c, UK];

fact2:
LOAD * INLINE
[dim_a, dim_b, dim_d, measure_1
John, b, abc,1
Mary, c, def,2
Mary, e, def,4
Peter, d, ghf,3];

parviz_asoodehfard_0-1682357508185.png

when I show fact1 in a table, I see this:

parviz_asoodehfard_0-1682366691151.png

edwin
Master II
Master II

there are at least two ways to model this, the simplest is to concatenate these two facts into one table, but you may want to add a field that makes a disinction between the two data sets:

fact:
LOAD 'fact1' as dataSet, * INLINE
[dim_a, dim_b, dim_c
John, a, USA
Mary, b, Canada
Peter, c, UK];

concatenate (fact)
LOAD 'fact2' as dataSet, * INLINE
[dim_a, dim_b, dim_d, measure_1
John, b, abc,1
Mary, c, def,2
Mary, e, def,4
Peter, d, ghf,3];

if you want to create an expression for the first data set use the set analysis 

sum({<dataSet={'fact1'}>}...

this way you are controlling which data set you wish to use

marcus_sommer

Just follow the example from @edwin. It avoids trouble with synthetic keys and/or circular loops, provides the access to all exists data (which could be never ensured by joining/associating tables) and enables also the possibility to differentiate between the sources.

Beside this it's the most simplest and fastest approach to build a data-model and could be applied as general solution. All other ways are more complex and more complicated and are requiring much more knowledge and experience - without any guarantee to get a better working or more performant data-model.