cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

Cycle group dimension in Sense

I read a great article to achieve a cycle dimension in Sense, but cannot get it to work.  Fails when referencing the calculated dimension expression in a chart.

I have an inline table in my model:

AdHocDimensions:

Dim,DimSort

Region,1

Sales Person,2

etc...

works great, tests fine

I then create 2 variables:

vMinDimSort, defined as:  min(DimSort)   This displays fine

vDim, defined as : minstring({<DimSort={"$(=$(vMinDimSort))"}>} Dim)    thiis works, but only when defined using a search string with the double quotes syntax.

The article says to code vDim simply as : minstring({<DimSort={$(vMinDimSort)}>} Dim)    but his gives a "set modifier error"  .  I have even put single quotes around $(vMinDimSort), but same error.

When I define vDim without the error, I can display $(vDim) as a measure in a textbox, so that that works fine, Example:  Region displays as expected in a textbox.

Then in my chart, I use =[$(vDim)] as a calculated dimension

Does not work, gives a set analysis error.  I would expect that if the textbox works with this variable, then the dimension reference with that same variable should work.

Any ideas?

Dave

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I got this to work.  You have to reference the dimension expression in the chart as :  =[$(=$(vDim))]

So, in summary, to create a cycle group dimension in qlik sense:

vDim should be defined as :    minstring({<DimSort={"$(=$(vMinDimSort))"}>} DimName)

The label for the dimension should be defined as:   ='$(=$(vDim))'

5 hours to figure this out 😞

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I have simplified the variable vDim, used for the dimension to be defined simply as:   only(DimName)

I am seeing that when using this as the expression for a dimension dimension in a chart,  =[$(vDim)]  gives an error in the expression editor of :  "Error in Expression"  =[only(DimName)]

So, in summary it does not appear to work to base a dimension on an expression that is based on text strings sourced from an inline table  where the source strings match the dimension names.  I have no clue how anyone got the example used in the article to actually work.

Dave

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I got this to work.  You have to reference the dimension expression in the chart as :  =[$(=$(vDim))]

So, in summary, to create a cycle group dimension in qlik sense:

vDim should be defined as :    minstring({<DimSort={"$(=$(vMinDimSort))"}>} DimName)

The label for the dimension should be defined as:   ='$(=$(vDim))'

5 hours to figure this out 😞

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

vDim is now defined correctly as:  

minstring({<DimSort={"$(=$(vMinDimSort))"}>} DimName)

And this is how you have to reference the label of the Dimension:  ='$(=$(vDim))'

Dave