Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HClegg
Contributor
Contributor

Dynamic Monthly Variance returning zeros

variance_problem.pngI want to see the monthly variance for the products sold. Each month selected displays two measures: sold quantity and variance. The user can select a year dimension and a month dimension, this correctly updates the sales quantity measure.

However, I'm trying to use set analysis to dynamically update the variance of the quantity sold using the below formula - but like I say, it's returning zeros. Please can someone help?

sum({$<Date = {">=$(=Date(MonthStart(Today()), 'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=$(=Date(MonthEnd(Today()), 'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>} [Sales Quantity])
-
sum({$<Date = {">=$(=Date(MonthStart(AddMonths(Today(), -1)), 'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=$(=Date(MonthEnd(AddMonths(Today(), -1)), 'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>} [Sales Quantity])

Just to add, I'm aware I can use this:
sum([Sales Quantity])
-
Before(sum([Sales Quantity]))

However, this leaves the first month's variance blank, as there is no preceding month column to calculate a variance from. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

My best guess is that you have some kind of issue with the Date modifier.

Try removing the date formating like this and replacing it with a num

sum({$<Date = {">=$(=floor(MonthStart(Today())))<=$(=floor(MonthEnd(Today())))"}>} [Sales Quantity])

Or format the date as a string like this:

sum({$<Date = {">='$(=Date(MonthStart(Today()), ''DD/MM/YYYY''))'<='$(=Date(MonthEnd(Today()), ''DD/MM/YYYY''))'"}>} [Sales Quantity])

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Vegar
MVP
MVP

My best guess is that you have some kind of issue with the Date modifier.

Try removing the date formating like this and replacing it with a num

sum({$<Date = {">=$(=floor(MonthStart(Today())))<=$(=floor(MonthEnd(Today())))"}>} [Sales Quantity])

Or format the date as a string like this:

sum({$<Date = {">='$(=Date(MonthStart(Today()), ''DD/MM/YYYY''))'<='$(=Date(MonthEnd(Today()), ''DD/MM/YYYY''))'"}>} [Sales Quantity])