Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ollyhughes1982
Contributor
Contributor

Extract multiple lines from long cell string

Hi,

I have a straight table with two columns, shown in the image.

Multiple Offences Example.png

I have the below script, which is currently extracting ‘Sales_Code’ (left-hand column in the straight table, above) from cells which have a long string of information (‘Entry’ is the field with the long string – ‘Entry’ column I the straight table, above):

trim(TextBetween(Entry, 'SALES ID: ', 'DATE:')) as Sales_Code,

I have included an example of one of the cell strings, below:

ADDRESS OF PERSON:

Post.Code:

Tel. No.: 

ODE: REDACTED

SDE: REDACTED

Vehicle Details:

VRM: REDACTED

COLOUR: REDACTED

MAKE: REDACTED

MODEL/CC: REDACTED

TYPE: Car

DATE OF 1ST REG:

SALES ID: DE86027

DATE: REDACTED

TIME: REDACTED

This is working fine for strings where I only have one ‘Sales _Code’, as per above (RC86027), but I am now getting some cells where the string has multiple (usually between two and four) ‘Sales _Code’ entries. I am not sure how to extract these. My script is bringing back blanks (‘-’) for these multiple ones – so I then miss two entries. I need to come up with a script that can cater for these multiple ones (e.g. If there are two, as per below, then have two rows in the table – both with the first column properly populated) If this is possible, please? I have included an example of a multiple ‘Sales _Code’ cell string below:

ADDRESS OF PERSON: REDACTED

Post.Code: REDACTED

Tel. No.: 

ODE: REDACTED

SDE: REDACTED

Vehicle Details:

VRM: REDACTED

COLOUR: REDACTED

MAKE: REDACTED

MODEL/CC: REDACTED

TYPE: REDACTED

DATE OF 1ST REG: REDACTED

SALES ID: SA88509

SALE_TYPE: REDACTED

SALES ID: AS88975

DATE: REDACTED

TIME: REDACTED

You can see that in this example there are two ‘Sales_Code’ entries (SA88509 & AS88975). This then gives me a ‘-‘ in the left-hand column of my straight table, as it cannot cater for the two codes.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
2 Replies
marcus_sommer

I suggest another approach by resolving the entire cell-content by using subfield() and afterwards you may pick the wanted data and/or clean them further and/or whatever, maybe something in this way:

load *, rowno() as RowNo where match(FieldDescription, 'Sales ID');
load *, subfield(YourFieldLine, ':', 1) as FieldDescription, subfield(YourFieldLine, ':', 1) as Fieldvalue;
load *, recno() as RecNo, subfield(YourField, chr(10)) as YourFieldLine from Source;

ollyhughes1982
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks. Will give this a try!