Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II

First graph series is gray not blue

We just upgraded from "April 2019 Patch 1" (13.21.2) to "May 2023 Patch 10" (14.129.17).

Before, the first series of each line graph, bar graph, etc. would always be blue (#4477AA):

blue.png

Now, it is still like that in at least one app, but in most apps, the first series is now a frail light gray:

gray.png

When I compare the "blue" apps to the "gray" ones, I can't find any difference:

• none of the graphs use master measure colors
  • the graphs all use appearance > color: auto
  • the apps all use the same theme

What could be causing this?  Is there a simple fix?

Labels (1)
5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Check the color by property for the measure. If it's an expression, it's likely returning null in the new release. 

-Rob

mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks, but I'm not having any luck.  When I edit the measure, I see two tabs:

On the "Edit measure" tab, there is a "Measure color" setting.  It's currently set to no color (white swatch with a slash through it), but changing it to blue does not affect my graphs.

On the "Segment colors" tab, there is a toggle switch to enable it.  It's currently set to off, but enabling it does not affect my graphs.  I played with some of the other settings there too without success.  Is this what you meant by "color by property for the measure," or am I in the wrong place?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Look in the "Color and Legend" section of the chart Appearance properties.

rwunderlich_0-1702417067313.png

mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Oh, no I have that set to auto, not color by measure.

In the meantime, I found that if I assign blue to the relevant master dimension, that changes all the graphs to blue.  So I could go around doing that for every master dimension, but it's not viable for cases where I actually need that dimension to have a meaningful color.

The bizarre thing is that for one particular graph, I set the master dimension to blue and then set it back to none, and the blue color remained!  So in that case, going around in a circle somehow got the color back out of this bad state it was in.  But that technique isn't working for other graphs.  Something seems glitched out, and I can't figure out how to correct it.

Another workaround I could do is to set each graph to "single color" instead of auto-coloring, but again, that's limited (won't work for multi-series graphs).

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

That sounds like you may have a migration bug. I recommend you contact Qlik support. 

-Rob