cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ejosowitz
Contributor
Contributor

Hourly average to overlay total

Hi, thanks in advance for any help. I have a dataset which is #s of database connections over time. Each row has timestamp, hostname, number of connects, and I've broken out some extra data such as hour-of-day and minute of hour to allow for some hour-over-hour analysis.

I've got a visualization that looks at Sum(connects) over Hour-of-Day and we slice that with specific days so we can look at individuals or groups of days. I'm trying to add an hourly average to that chart and running into issues.

If I just use AVG(connects) I get the average # of connects for all the transactions in a given hour, but not the average sum of all connects for the hour. 

I tried using Avg(Aggr(Sum(connects), Hour-of-Day))) and that seems closer but falls apart as soon as I start filtering individual dates. 

What I'd like is to be able have a consistent average # of connects for the entire dataset for that hour-of-day, that doesn't change when I select individual or groups of days. I'm guessing this is some strange combo of multi-level Aggr and set-expressions -- hoping someone else has already done the hard work to figure this out.

Thanks,

Erik

0 Replies