Qlik Community

Ask a Question

App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

Announcements
April 22, 2PM EST: Learn about GeoOperations in Qlik Sense SaaS READ MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
divyathomas
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to adjust reference line based on dimension selected in Line Chart?

I have a line chart with 3 dimensions(Year, place, model type, etc). One dimension is chosen at a time and the others are available as alternative dimensions. I have one measure Count(SerialID).

I want to add an average reference line to the chart based on the selected dimension. Currently, when I add an average reference line, say based on the dimension 'year' , that line is visible even when the user selects dimension 'place'. Also, the reference line does not change to show the average of the new selected dimension (place). How can I do this??

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
forte
Partner
Partner

Hi @divyathomas 

May be you can test a workaround. Instead of using alternative dimension, try to do it through a calculated dimension depending on a variable's value

if(vMyVariable=1, Dim1,if(vMyVariable=2, Dim2....)

In order to let the user change dimension, you can use an Input extension (in Qlik Bundle) so you can show some buttons user can action to change that variable , and consequently dimension.

Now you are able to use that variable to decide best expression for reference line.

Hope it helps

Regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies
forte
Partner
Partner

Hi @divyathomas 

You can use GetObjectDimension function. It retrieves de name of dimension that you are using on an object on a specific index.

In your case , you can call if(GetObjectDimension(0) ='Year', expressionforavgbyyear,.... 

Hope it helps

Regards

divyathomas
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hello @forte , Thanks for replying. But this isn't working and when looking more into it I think it is because GetObjectDimension can't be used in reference lines (https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/September2020/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/ChartFunctions/Fiel...)

Wondering if you knew some other way of doing this?

forte
Partner
Partner

Hi @divyathomas 

May be you can test a workaround. Instead of using alternative dimension, try to do it through a calculated dimension depending on a variable's value

if(vMyVariable=1, Dim1,if(vMyVariable=2, Dim2....)

In order to let the user change dimension, you can use an Input extension (in Qlik Bundle) so you can show some buttons user can action to change that variable , and consequently dimension.

Now you are able to use that variable to decide best expression for reference line.

Hope it helps

Regards

View solution in original post

divyathomas
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hello @forte ,

Thank you for the suggestion. I am very new to Qlik so I wonder if you might be able to help me a bit more with implementing this solution. I am stuck with the reference line expression. Here is what I did:

As you suggested, I created a variable (vDim which takes values 1,2,3)

divyathomas_0-1605240480109.png

Then I created a calculated field with this expression and used this as the dimension in my chart. The dimension in my chart is updating successfully when I change the vDim value from a dropdown

divyathomas_1-1605240598588.png

I am stuck at the reference line expression. When I enter this expression(since I can't add the calculated field directly)...no line is displayed at all. Wondering if you point out where I am going wrong, please...?

divyathomas_2-1605242704573.png

Thanks in advance for any help!

divyathomas
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

nevermind, I did it like this and it seems to work ok! 🙂

divyathomas_1-1605249864950.png