Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thanhng34
Partner - Contributor III

How to convert multiple fields into one single field

Hello community, 

I am currently working on my company's client repository.
There are three fields that determine whether a person is a client of an institution belonging to my company:

- PersonIsClientAGRI: if the person is a client of AGRI -> "1", otherwise "0".
- PersonIsClientCCPMA: if the person is a client of CCPMA -> "1", otherwise "0".
- PersonIsClientCPCEA: if the person is a client of CPCEA -> "1", otherwise "0".

There are many people who are clients of 2 or even 3 institutions. 

My need: I would like to "group" the three fields mentioned above into a single field called "Institution", to use it later as a dimension.
For example, for a person who is a client of two institutions "AGRI" and "CCPMA", I will have two lines with the same information relating to this person: a line with "Institution" = "AGRI" and a line with "Institution" = "CCPMA",

instead of a single line with "PersonIsClientAGRI" = "1" and "PersonIsClientCCPMA" = "1" as now.

Before :

IDpersonFirstNamepersonLastNamepersonDateofBirthpersonSexpersonIsClientAGRIpersonIsClienCCPMApersonIsClientCPCEA
001LauraDubois15/05/1984Female110

After :

IDpersonFirstNamepersonLastNamepersonDateofBirthpersonSexInstitution
001LauraDubois15/05/1984FemaleAGRI
001LauraDubois15/05/1984FemaleCCPMA

Thanks in advance for your help.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
raji6763
Creator II
Creator II

Hi thanhng,

Here is the solution for your query. solution.png

Steps i followed to achieve the above scenario:

-         I have used crosstable function that  transform the table and that will convert 3 fields into one field

(institution)

-         Load 0 and 1 values as a Status

-       Noconcatenate will not concatenate two tables

-       I Loaded all fields into Temp table using resident(Status=1).Then drop the initial table and status field.

here is the script

3 filed into 1 transformation.png

Regards,

raji

View solution in original post

4 Replies
raji6763
Creator II
Creator II

Hi thanhng,

Here is the solution for your query. solution.png

Steps i followed to achieve the above scenario:

-         I have used crosstable function that  transform the table and that will convert 3 fields into one field

(institution)

-         Load 0 and 1 values as a Status

-       Noconcatenate will not concatenate two tables

-       I Loaded all fields into Temp table using resident(Status=1).Then drop the initial table and status field.

here is the script

3 filed into 1 transformation.png

Regards,

raji

thanhng34
Author

Hi @raji6763,

Thank you so much for your solution, it works great ! Thanks for sharing the script which did facilitate my understanding of how the crosstable does work.

Best regards,

raji6763
Creator II
Creator II

Thank you😊

msshawn3019
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hopefully this finds raji6763 after 2 years... Can you please display the code above crosstable?  I'm not sure what you did with the Status field "Load 0 and 1 values as a Status"