Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juanjaramillo1
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to retrieve max date based on the last value of another field

Hello community. I have searched in the portal but did not found any answer. I hope you can help me with this!

I have a table with dates in ascending order and want to retrieve the maximal (aka. last) date of the last value of another field. This other field is named "Umsatz_Ist_Netto_EUR".

In my uploaded example, I have to be able to retrieve 2022-06-09, which is the maximal date based on the last value of the field "Umsatz_Ist_Netto_EUR". Trying with FirstSortedValue does not work for me, or I am using it wrong... 

Would love I you can help me with this please.

Thank you very much in advance!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
juanjaramillo1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Or,

that worked! I was trying to accomplish that for weeks! 

This worked out well:  Date(Max({< Umsatz_Ist_Netto_EUR = {"?*"} >} Datum)) 

Thank you very much 🙂 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

So, what you're looking for is the last date that has a EUR value associated with it?

Date(Max({< Umsatz_Ist_Netto_EUR = {"*"}  >} Datum))

Note that if the date is actually a string rather than a proper date, you'll  need to use MaxString() and Date#() instead.

juanjaramillo1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for the answer! Sadly I receive 2022-12-31, which is the last date of the table. What I want to achieve is to retrieve the last date that has values of the field "Umsatz_Ist_Netto_EUR" associated with it, in this case, the date output has to be 2022-06-09, as in the example. Maybe the output gives  2022-12-31 because the date field is associated with the "...EUR" field even when in that field I do not have any value, therefore it is associated till the end of the date field ? 

One pic shows my result. 

Second pic shows the end of the table. Maybe that helps to help me. Thank you very much!

Or
MVP
MVP

If that EUR field is blank (or whitespace) rather than null, this won't work. I can't tell whether this is the case from your image. I can confirm that the logic does work when the missing values are null, since I tested it locally before posting. If your values are actually a blank, you could try:

{< Field2 -= {""} >} instead of the ={"*"} version. {< Field2 = {"?*"} >} Should also work for this use case, I think.

juanjaramillo1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Or,

that worked! I was trying to accomplish that for weeks! 

This worked out well:  Date(Max({< Umsatz_Ist_Netto_EUR = {"?*"} >} Datum)) 

Thank you very much 🙂 

Or
MVP
MVP

Sure thing. That that says is that the Umsatz_Ist_Netto_EUR must contain any value that is at least one character long ('?' designates a single character).

juanjaramillo1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Nice, thank you for the tip! And what says (*) ?

Or
MVP
MVP

Same as in search, any value of any length. Here's a resource that details these options and more:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Qlik-Sense-Cheat-Sheet-version-2-0/ba-p/1667455