Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Naps_230
Creator
Creator

How to split field value as per our my requirement

Hi ,

Can you please help me , how to split field value as per our my requirement, Please find the attachment.

we multiple records in excels. I need category and subcategory field like below, please refer attachment

MY Requirement below:

Product  Category  Subcategory
Edelweiss Tokio Group Credit Protection - SME edelweiss tokio group CREDIT PROTECTION
Labels (2)
7 Replies
MarcoWedel

How is the logic of identifying Category and Subcategory specified?

Naps_230
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi ,

we need to create two field like product and subcategory based on product.

Naps_230
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Marco ,

we need to create two field like product and subcategory based on product field.

MarcoWedel

Hi,

one solution that implements your requirement to create two field like product and subcategory based on product:

Your Requirement below:

Edelweiss Tokio Group Credit Protection - SME edelweiss tokio group CREDIT PROTECTION

solution:

MarcoWedel_0-1655670377623.png

table1:
Load *,
Lower(Left(Product,21)) as Category,
Upper(Mid(Product,23,17)) as Subcategory
Inline [
Product
Edelweiss Tokio Group Credit Protection - SME
];

hope this helps

please close your thread by accepting a solution

thank you

Naps_230
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Marco,

Thanks for reply, Actually i have multiple row in file. how will it work if data looks like. i have attached screenshot of my requirement.

Edelweiss Tokio Group Credit Protection - SME-NEW edelweiss tokio group CREDIT PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Cash Flow Protection edelweiss tokio life CASH FLOW PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Protection - (Reg/5/10/pay) edelweiss tokio life PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Single Pay Endowment Assuarance Plan edelweiss tokio life SINGLE PAY ENDOWMENT ASSURANCE PLAN
Sujy15
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @Naps_230 ,

Sujy15_0-1655721841447.png

Please find the expressions as below :

For Category : SubField(Product,'-',1)

For Subcategory : If(SubStringCount(Product,'-')=1,SubField(Product,'-',-1),TextBetween(Product,'-','-',1))

P.S : I have tried the solution by adding '-' for the first two rows in Product field (as highlighted in the above image)

Hope this helps you!

Thanks!

MarcoWedel

Coming back to my earlier question of how the product has to be split in category and subcategory, like in general.

If you only were given the products and asked to split them manually, what portion of the product string would you put in the category field and what in the subcategory based on a general rule rather than a few examples?

If you can answer this question, then there will surely be an implementation in Qlik.