Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amweiner
Partner - Contributor III

Include Connection File and Relative Folder Paths in Sense

I have a set of Qlik Sense apps that I want to deploy against different databases. In Qlikview, I create a folder for each client, which includes a connection file that contains the database connection string. My master model file reads the connection file using Include. I also use relative paths for saving and reading qvd files and any other client specific files.

For example in Qlikview, I create a connection file called DBConnection.txt. In each client folder, the file contains the connection information for that client. When I deploy changes across clients, I deploy the qvw that includes the DBconnection.txt file. When referencing files (qvd, text files, and other qvw files), I use relative path specifications. This makes it easy to deploy documents without having to edit the load script.

In qlik sense, I do not see a way to do either of these (include a generic connection file and referencing relative folders). All of the file connections contain specific folder names. For example, I can set up a DB Connection file with the connection information, but I still need to edit the script to specify the folder where the connection file is located.

Is there a way to do this in Sense?

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can create a folder connection to a common root folder and use relative paths from that folder. Perhaps you can leverage the Qlik Deployment Framework to make things easier.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
amweiner
Author

The relative folder location is not the biggest of the issues. Let me explain further:

In Qlikview, the location of the qvw is the default folder location. If I were place all files used by the document into the same folder, I can easily move the contents of the folder from one location to another, without having to edit any of the contents. If there were a subfolder structure under qvw's root folder, that would be handled by relative folder notation. 

Also, in qlikview, I can use the include statement to include the contents of a file, in which I include the database connection string.

I want to know if there is a way to include a file in script that does not have a hard coded data connection? Or some other work around that achieves the same thing?

I am not sure that the deployment console will work because all of the movement between streams is on the same node.