Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valpassos
Creator III
Creator III

Just one small thing on mapping table use

Hi community,

This will be for an easy and quick wedge.

A mapping table always returns one and one only value, right.

MAPPING LOAD
%KEY_PRODUCT,
MIN(Order_Date)
FROM Table
GROUP BY %KEY_PRODUCT;

So, this mapping table will return the MIN(Order_Date) for the product.

But if I have multiple Order_Dates, varying for each version of the product, a mapping table no longer makes sense to use, right? Even if I GROUP BY the version of the product?

Is this true under any circunstance? 

If so, what should I do, then - a LEFT JOIN?

Thanks!

Lisa

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You have two options:

Use a left join using %KEY_PRODUCT and VERSION (field with version of the product) as matching fields.

Or you can create a mapping table concatenating product key and product version fields in one single field and use it as the mapping column:

MAPPING LOAD
%KEY_PRODUCT&'|'&VERSION,
MIN(Order_Date)
FROM Table
GROUP BY %KEY_PRODUCT,VERSION;

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Wederson
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

The mapping table returns one value for each key value. In yout Example, the mapply will return the minium order_date for each KEY_PRODUCT.

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You have two options:

Use a left join using %KEY_PRODUCT and VERSION (field with version of the product) as matching fields.

Or you can create a mapping table concatenating product key and product version fields in one single field and use it as the mapping column:

MAPPING LOAD
%KEY_PRODUCT&'|'&VERSION,
MIN(Order_Date)
FROM Table
GROUP BY %KEY_PRODUCT,VERSION;

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi @pablolabbe ,

Thank you!

Immediately after I posted the question I realized that using a composite key, as you describe, on the mapping table maybe could also make sense 🤔 And it sure beats the LEFT JOIN in terms of performance, right?

I haven't acted upon that approach yet on my model, but using this composite key, can the Version field then be used as a filter on the front-end, so I can vary the order date?

Thanks once again!,

Lisa

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Lisa,

I'm not sure on what you are saying  "so I can so I can vary the order date?" . It depends on your data model. The Version field must exists in the table which you are applying the applymap function.

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi @pablolabbe,

Forget about it -- that question didn't make sense 😊

Thanks!