Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doherja
Contributor III
Contributor III

Left Join is really inner join

Hello,

I have a table in QlikView like this:

Cust

Month

A Jan
A Feb
B Jan
B Feb

I then left-join facts to it with a statement like 'LEFT JOIN (Table 1) Load * Resident Table2.' Table 2 looks like:

Cust Month Units
A Jan 10
A Feb 20
B Jan 15

If I save the resulting table into a QVD after this join, the QVD looks like this, as expected:

Cust Month Units
A Jan 10
A Feb 20
B Jan 15
B Feb <Null>

But in QlikView after the load completes, there is no Feb associated with B. A table box (not chart!) looks like:

Cust Month
A Jan
A Feb
B Jan

If I select Cust B, Feb is grayed out. I need B/Feb to exist in the table, and I think LEFT JOIN should do it. What can I change?

Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
doherja
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Figured it out.  The original table is missing some dimension columns that are needed later (in this simplified version, the first table in my question is actually the half-way point of my script.  Not exactly sure why they are needed, but when they are included, the app behaves as intended.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BrunPierre
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Could you post the fact table as well.

doherja
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi BrunPierre,

Fact table looks like:

Cust Month Units
A Jan 10
A Feb 20
B Jan 15
B Feb <null>

although the app behaves as if that last row is not there.  (In fact, I didn't think it was in there, until I did a load with just a single customer, so that I could see the full table in the data model viewer so that I could answer your question.)  For example, if I add list boxes for Cust and Month, and select Feb, Customer B is grayed out.

Thanks

doherja
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

This does not help:

Fact2:
NoConcatenate Load
     Cust,
     Month,
     If(Units > 0, Units, 0) as Units
Resident Fact;
Drop Table Fact;

same result with:

alt(Units, 0) as Units
doherja
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Figured it out.  The original table is missing some dimension columns that are needed later (in this simplified version, the first table in my question is actually the half-way point of my script.  Not exactly sure why they are needed, but when they are included, the app behaves as intended.