Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Limit the Range Sum

Hello
I'm working on an expression that calculates the accumulative variance

ali_hijazi_0-1684828270709.png

the main expression gets values up to April 2023 (limited in set analysis)
then I used Range Sum to calculate the variance 
then I chose Accumulation in the modifier to calculate the accumulative variance
the numbers are correct but I want to display values up to 2023 04

main Expression is :
Sum({<MonthDiff={0},Scenario={Actual},Date_Num={"<$(=Max({1<[Is Current Month]={1}>}[Date_Num]))"}>}Periodic)

the expression that calculates the variance is :
fabs
(rangesum(
Sum( {<MonthDiff={0},Scenario={Actual},Date_Num={"<$(=Max({1<[Is Current Month]={1}>}[Date_Num])-1)"}>}Periodic )
-1*above( Sum( {<[Year Month]=, MonthDiff={0},Scenario={Actual},Date_Num={"<$(=Max({1<[Is Current Month]={1}>}[Date_Num])-1)"}>}Periodic ))*avg(1)
)

kindly advise

I can walk on water when it freezes
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

You may just use your main-expression as a boolean check, like:

VarianceExpression * sign(MainExpression)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

You may just use your main-expression as a boolean check, like:

VarianceExpression * sign(MainExpression)

ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

may you please elaborate more?

I can walk on water when it freezes
marcus_sommer

It's not complicated. Your fabs(rangesum(above(...))) creates future-results for not existing values just repeating the last result for all further exists dimension-values. In general it should be possible to add further condition within this variance-expression but it won't be trivial. Much easier is to put a boolean check on the outside. This means for all existing data your main-expression will return a (positive) value and sign() returns as a wrapper 1 and the not existing data results in 0 and sign returned 0 which means in the end that your variance-expression is multiplied with 1 respectively 0 and the zero-results could be hidden per layout-option.

Beside using the MainExpression as check you might be also just add a 0/1 flag within the calendar related to dates <= monthend/montstart of today() respectively are >= and then using the flag as factor or as further dimension/expression-condition.