Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Line Chart Complication

I am trying to create a 3-line chart that shows how many people I am required, authorized and assigned broken out by month.  The data for the required and authorized is on one Excel tab and the assigned is on another.  Everything with the required and authorized is reflecting perfect to the data set.  However, when I try to plot the assigned numbers from the other tab, it will only give me the overall number total for all of the months.  Is there a way I can get the months from the Assigned tab to reflect on this line chart?  Thank you.

cschaeuble_0-1680098038822.png

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dwqlik82
Creator
Creator

if this is the only data that will ever be in the app the quickest way would be to make sure both date columns have the same name and it would then act as a key between the two tables (assuming the date formats are identical etc -  i pretty much exclusively deal in SQL data, excel can be a minefield).  A more structured approach would be something like a concatenation table with a column to identify which rows are Required, Authorised,Assigned and a shared date dimension within that to plot against.

As with most things Qlik it really boils down to the data model first and foremost.  link to the qlik design blog for a few bits on concatenate and link tables :https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Concatenate-vs-Link-Table/ba-p/1467569 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dwqlik82
Creator
Creator

Is the Date dimension shared across all measures or are you just using the one loaded from the first tab?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

When I set up the line chart I used the date column from the first tab.  Is there a way to use the dates from the second tab where my assigned numbers are coming from?

dwqlik82
Creator
Creator

if this is the only data that will ever be in the app the quickest way would be to make sure both date columns have the same name and it would then act as a key between the two tables (assuming the date formats are identical etc -  i pretty much exclusively deal in SQL data, excel can be a minefield).  A more structured approach would be something like a concatenation table with a column to identify which rows are Required, Authorised,Assigned and a shared date dimension within that to plot against.

As with most things Qlik it really boils down to the data model first and foremost.  link to the qlik design blog for a few bits on concatenate and link tables :https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Concatenate-vs-Link-Table/ba-p/1467569