cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david_pearson
Contributor III
Contributor III

Master Dimension in a variable Dropdown selection

Hi, i have a master dimension (MM_Region) which, top to bottom, will go Region > Team > Underwriter. I can integrate this into a visualisation as a  master dimension however what i would like to do it have a variable dropdown in place of the dimension so i can control the visual with the values in the dropdown. i know how create the variable list and use in the chart, however what i want to do is have a dropdown that will have, for example, 3 values. Product, Type, MM_Region (Master dimension). is this possible? How do i reference the MM_Region as a value in the dropdown or is this not possible? Hopefully that makes sense.

thanks 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WaltShpuntoff
Employee
Employee

Variables do not appear to work as master item names.

Here is a thought (i.e. I have not tried this exact combination)

What if you made your variable something like this:

let vDrill = If(GetPossibleCount(topLevelField)>1, topLevelField, If(GetPossibleCount(midLevelField)>1, midLevelField, bottomLevelField))

then your dimension would just be something  [$(vDrill)] 

you may have to play around with the = and $ expansion to get it working properly, and repeat the process for the labeling.

This should mimic the drill down of only displaying the item if there is more than one possible value.

You could probably even bury the whole thing in a master item so users do not see the mechanics of it.

-HTH

ws

View solution in original post

3 Replies
WaltShpuntoff
Employee
Employee

You can use a variable as a dimension.

So if your drop down goes to a variable called variableName, then your chart dimension becomes [$(variableName)] and your label can be ='$(variableName)'

As far as the variable itself goes - you can use the dynamic value definition to populate that.

HTH

-ws

david_pearson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yea, i understand that i can use a variable as a dropdown, but i want to use a master dimension as one of the variable dropdown values. as you can see from this image, the master dimension has all 3 fields i want, but at the moment in the dropdown values i have to have them as individual fields. can i have this 1 value looking at this master dimension?

david_pearson_0-1709543255701.png

WaltShpuntoff
Employee
Employee

Variables do not appear to work as master item names.

Here is a thought (i.e. I have not tried this exact combination)

What if you made your variable something like this:

let vDrill = If(GetPossibleCount(topLevelField)>1, topLevelField, If(GetPossibleCount(midLevelField)>1, midLevelField, bottomLevelField))

then your dimension would just be something  [$(vDrill)] 

you may have to play around with the = and $ expansion to get it working properly, and repeat the process for the labeling.

This should mimic the drill down of only displaying the item if there is more than one possible value.

You could probably even bury the whole thing in a master item so users do not see the mechanics of it.

-HTH

ws