Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnb023
Contributor III
Contributor III

Multiple input variables to select Dimension

QlikView 

I have a straight table chart that displays catalogue item descriptions.

I want the user to be able to filter the description using some Input Boxes.  The user can enter 2 sets of inputs.

vSearch1 and vSearch2                 vSearch3 and vSearch4

I want to display the result of both.

WildMatch of vSearch1 and vSearch2                vSearch1 = 'filter', vSearch2 = 'element', the result would be a description that contains both 'filter' and 'element' (not 'filter' or 'element').

and the result of WildMatch of  vSearch3 and vSearch4 - same idea for this set.

The overall result would display the results of the 2 searches together in the one list.

Any or all of the variables can be blank.

= if((vSearch1 & vSearch2 & vSearch3 & vSearch4 ) = '', Descr,
if((WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch1&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch2&'*')) or
           (WildMatch(Descr, '*'&Search3&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&Search4&'*'))
, Descr, null())
)

This code yields the correct result only when there is a value in each of the 2 sets.  That is, vSearch1 and vSearch3 are not blank.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnb023
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That is a very good tip.  Thank you.  I am going to try it out.

In the meantime, I believe I resolved this using brute force.

= if((vSearch1 & vSearch2 & vSearch3 & vSearch4) = '', Descr, // if empty searches then show all

if((vSearch3 & vSearch4) = '', // if 2nd search set is empty then only use 1st search set
if((WildMatch( Descr, '*'&vSearch1&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch2&'*'),

if(vSearch1 & vSearch2 = '', // if 1st search set is empty then only use 2nd search set
if((WildMatch( Descr, '*'&vSearch3&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch4&'*')), Descr),

if((WildMatch( Descr, '*'&vSearch1&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch2&'*')) //if both sets have search criteria use both
or (WildMatch( Descr, '*'&vSearch3&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch4&'*'))
, Descr, null()
)
)
)
)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

What happens now?

if((WildMatch(Descr, '*vSearch1*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*vSearch2*')) or
           (WildMatch(Descr, '*vSearch3*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*vSearch4*'))
, Descr, null())

- Marcus

johnb023
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It returns null/blank values for the description regardless of which combination of vSearch? is used.

I should add that I have a button that resets the values of the variables to '' (2 single quotes).

marcus_sommer

That results not in an empty variable. What is if you change the '' to really nothing?

- Marcus

johnb023
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

1. If I change the button reset from '' to null(), then I get blanks for the description even when nothing is entered in the input boxes.  There is a "-" displayed in the input boxes.  In this case I use:

= if(IsNull(vSearch1 & vSearch2 & vSearch3 & vSearch4, Descr,     ...)

to show all descriptions when nothing is in the input boxes.  When I use '' as the reset value, I get a full list of descriptions.

2. If I comment out the line above and only look for results from the input boxes, I get blank descriptions regardless of whether I use '' or null() as the reset value.

johnb023
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I had a thought.  Maybe this is obvious to others, however...

The reason the list does not change until the 2nd search set has a value is:

Something1 OR * = *. 

Not until the 2nd search set has a value does the list change:  Something1 OR Something2.

marcus_sommer

In QlikView you could put your expression within an expression in a table-chart without defining a label for it and then by hovering with the mouse on the label QlikView showed how the expression is resolved - means here how are the variables resolved. Now you could check how it looked like when there is a search-string and if there is none respectively the '' or = null() or anything else. Just one part with a single expression should be enough to check the logic and to adjust the values respectively the syntax.

- Marcus

johnb023
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That is a very good tip.  Thank you.  I am going to try it out.

In the meantime, I believe I resolved this using brute force.

= if((vSearch1 & vSearch2 & vSearch3 & vSearch4) = '', Descr, // if empty searches then show all

if((vSearch3 & vSearch4) = '', // if 2nd search set is empty then only use 1st search set
if((WildMatch( Descr, '*'&vSearch1&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch2&'*'),

if(vSearch1 & vSearch2 = '', // if 1st search set is empty then only use 2nd search set
if((WildMatch( Descr, '*'&vSearch3&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch4&'*')), Descr),

if((WildMatch( Descr, '*'&vSearch1&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch2&'*')) //if both sets have search criteria use both
or (WildMatch( Descr, '*'&vSearch3&'*') and WildMatch(Descr, '*'&vSearch4&'*'))
, Descr, null()
)
)
)
)