Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abonnery
Contributor III
Contributor III

New Field Creation - Join and Synthetic keys in the Data Load Editor

Hello, 

I am having trouble creating a new field in the data load editor. The script is below the message.

Here is the data model (capture 1).

I want to avoid any synthetic key to appear when I create this new 'IA/VIA' field but I need to load within the table 2 dimensions that are keys from other tables.

I tried dropping 2 of the dimensions (I still need one key) but it still didn't work ... (see capture 2) The IA/VIA field doesn't appear and the synthetic keys don't go...

I don't know if I did properly the join or if I need to add a group by clause (I don't understand how it works). 

The 2 dimensions that are keys from other table are "Project Name", "Responsible Name" and "IA GBU" (and probably customer name but I forgot it in the script).

I don't think the issue is coming from the way the new field itself is defined but more of the structure.  

Thank you very much for your help !

SCRIPT: 

IA_VIA_Definition:

LOAD "Project Name","Customer Name","Project Program","Responsible Name" resident BO_ProjectsCost;

Join(IA_VIA_Definition)

LOAD "Responsible Name","IA GBU" resident Responsible_Data;

Join(IA_VIA_Definition)
Load if("IA GBU"=A or "IA GBU"=B  or "IA GBU"=C,'IA',
if(("IA GBU"=D or "IA GBU"=E) and Left("Customer Name",4)='SITE' and "Customer Name"<>'SITE - xxx'
and "Project Program"<>'Hello', 'VIA', 'OTHER')) AS "IA/VIA" ;

Drop field "Responsible Name","IA GBU" from BO_ProjectsCost;

3 Replies
Sammy_AK
Creator II
Creator II

synthetic keys are created on data association, which is that if more than 1 table has more than 1 common column names then synthetic keys are created. for e.g. Table a has ID, Color, product, amount and table b has ID, color, country, value. here a synthetic key is created between ID and color as they are common keys between 2 tables. synthetic keys are not bad but as long as they give correct output they are fine to be there. 

in your case, i understand that there are more than 1 common column between more than 1 table so synthetic keys are created. you can rename the column names apart from the columns you want to associate data. similarly in the above example, if i want to get rid of synthetic keys i would rename /delete color column either from table a or b. i would rename the column or give a alias for column color to prd_color (i.e. color as prd_color) and this should solve the problem. 

try this updated Script:

SCRIPT: 

IA_VIA_Definition:

LOAD "Project Name","Customer Name","Project Program","Responsible Name" resident BO_ProjectsCost;

Join(IA_VIA_Definition)

LOAD "Responsible Name","IA GBU" resident Responsible_Data;

IA_VIA:
Load if("IA GBU"=A or "IA GBU"=B  or "IA GBU"=C,'IA',
if(("IA GBU"=D or "IA GBU"=E) and Left("Customer Name",4)='SITE' and "Customer Name"<>'SITE - xxx'
and "Project Program"<>'Hello', 'VIA', 'OTHER')) AS "IA/VIA",

"Project Name"

resident IA_VIA_Definition;

Drop table IA_VIA_Definition;

i am assuming project name is the key to link bo_project_cost

abonnery
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hello,

thank you for you answer. It still doesn't work. The data loading never ends. 

Maybe because in that second IA/VIA table, the conditions to create the IA/VIA field cannot be verified because the "customer name", "project program" and "IA GBU" are not loaded in this same table but in the other one ...

Sammy_AK
Creator II
Creator II

do you have a sample qvf file to share ?