Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg_Oliven
Partner - Contributor III

New Layout Container Flyout Menu

The new layout container provides a cool option for a menu that appears to pop out from the side. I first time I saw this was in a nice post @jochem_zw made on LinkedIn. Setting out to implement it, I put a button in the upper left corner of my container and had it increment the value assigned to a variable by 1 every time it's clicked:

Greg_Oliven_0-1706321079960.png

Then in each of the charts I position underneath my button which I want to be part of my menu, I add this as the show condition:

Greg_Oliven_1-1706321468390.png

So if the button's variable holds an odd number (which it will every other click), the menu shows. Click again, get an even number, and the menu disappears (the button itself has no show condition - it's always there). This works great, but it has one major liability and I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for how to overcome it: it's not totally intuitive that to dismiss the menu you have to click the button again. Hitting Escape might feel more intuitive, or just clicking for focus elsewhere on the sheet. Any ideas on how to improve the implementation?

Labels (1)
  • SaaS

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Greg,

I usually address this by toggling the button label to inform the user.  BTW, a typical expression to toggle the variable state (your button action) would be:

=not vMenuShow

Then your button label expression becomes:

=if(vMenuShow, 'Hide Menu', 'Show Menu')

and your chart show condition is simply:

=vMenuShow

-Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jochem_zw
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi Greg, I don’t think there is a better solution for this. I would be nice if we had an on hover action, think this would make it a lot easier. About your vMenushow var why not make the action like this: if(vMenushow=1,0,1) so when it is 1 it shows the object. 

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Greg,

I usually address this by toggling the button label to inform the user.  BTW, a typical expression to toggle the variable state (your button action) would be:

=not vMenuShow

Then your button label expression becomes:

=if(vMenuShow, 'Hide Menu', 'Show Menu')

and your chart show condition is simply:

=vMenuShow

-Rob

Greg_Oliven
Author

Thanks @jochem_zw, and thanks for posting your video which gave me the idea in the first place.

Greg_Oliven
Author

Thanks @rwunderlich - much more elegant! And the idea to prompt the user via the button label is a good one, until we get some more web-like hover functionality for this.