cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wshull
Contributor
Contributor

Reference Title or Label in Set Analysis

I am developing an app that will have many Text & Image boxes along with many charts.  These both ignore any selections besides the date.  Is there a way to reference a chart or Text & image Title while building set expressions inside said items.  Example - Change the title of a chart to an account code that I am using and so then the set expressions would use self.title as the account code like sum({1<account={'self.title'}>}amount).

I am looking to do this because I am copying and pasting these over and over and hard coding the accounts in each set expression inside the chart.  Just thought there might be a better way.

Thanks for reading.

Labels (1)
  • SaaS

3 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would use a filter pane with "account" next to the text and chart objects. Then you can use

="account" , or
='Account(s) :' & "account"

as label in your object. And the expressions will not need any set analysis.

wshull
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you for the idea, but I am going to have a graph for each account code, not one graph that I can filter by account code.  The idea behind referencing the title is so that I wouldn't have to edit the set analysis for the measures on each graph that I copy from the original.  They would just change after I copy and paste a new graph, change the title, then move on to paste another one, change title and move on.  I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for reading.

marcus_sommer

AFAIK it's not possible with the native objects to read their properties and using these information in any calculation. Maybe there are possibilities with extensions but it's rather not trivial and may have side-effects.

Beside this it's not necessary to use such expensive and painful approach with probably dozens of tile-style objects to show the wanted information else just use a table-chart. Yes, the layout will be different because you couldn't customize it with such a variety but the essential information could be shown - and a reduced layout might be an added value at it's own.

Nevertheless if you want to continue with your method you may automate it a bit respectively simplify the manual tasks by accessing the relevant selections and using them for your expressions and titles by picking the relevant part from it - maybe with something like:

$(=subfield(concat(distinct MyField,'+', X), '+', Y))

whereby X and Y are place-holder for any logic to sort the field-value list respectively to pick a certain part from it. Depending on your data-set and requirements it may not easy and causing more work as the ugly but simple copy & paste + adjust it properly approach.