Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simoncarts
Contributor II
Contributor II

Return Dimension based on Lowest Value

Good morning All,

I'm trying to create the equivalent of a VLOOKUP / INDEX & MATCH in Qlik where the [Manufacturer] & [Vehicle Description] for the Lowest [Rate] is returned

When I hard-code the lowest [Rate] value into the Expression, the app returns the desired result(s) with no errors (expression below) 
Concat(DISTINCT if([Rate]=(137.56), [Manufacturer] & ' ' & [Vehicle Description]),Chr(10))

When I only replace the hard-coded rate with
Min([Rate]) (expression below)
Concat(DISTINCT if([Rate]=(Min([Rate])), [Manufacturer] & ' ' & [Vehicle Description]),Chr(10))

I receive an Error stating 'Error in expression: Nested aggregation not allowed'

I've tried placing
Aggr in different parts of the expression which removes the error but then returns no results.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

Perhaps try using FirstSortedValue() instead?

You might also be able to get a result using an internal aggr based on the two dimensions in question, assuming each combination is limited to having a single rate. It'd look something like:

Concat(DISTINCT if([Rate]=(Min(aggr(Only([Rate]),Manufacturer,[Vehicle Description])), [Manufacturer] & ' ' & [Vehicle Description]),Chr(10))

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Perhaps try using FirstSortedValue() instead?

You might also be able to get a result using an internal aggr based on the two dimensions in question, assuming each combination is limited to having a single rate. It'd look something like:

Concat(DISTINCT if([Rate]=(Min(aggr(Only([Rate]),Manufacturer,[Vehicle Description])), [Manufacturer] & ' ' & [Vehicle Description]),Chr(10))

simoncarts
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for the quick response!

FirstSortedValue does work and I'm going to use this as my solution. How does it behave when you have 2 Rates being equally the lowest? Ideally I'd like the Manufacturer & Vehicle Descriptions listed if there is more than one 🙂

The Expression you've written out still returns the Nested Aggregation error

Or
MVP
MVP

Right, the outer min() will still cause the nested aggregation issue. Didn't notice that since I didn't catch the outer concat(). You could try using set analysis instead of the nested if(), something along the lines of:

concat({< Rate = {"$(=Max(Rate))"} >} [Manufacturer] & ' ' & [Vehicle Description]),Chr(10))