Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Section Access: Are "dummy" entries necessary?

Following very old examples of section access, I was under the impression that when the reduction is "*" this only matches the specified reductions in the section access table.

For example:

ACCESS, USER, REDUCTION

USER, DA123, *

USER, AB456, NORTH

USER, CEF789, SOUTH

if the data contains "REDUCTION" value of "WEST" then DA123 will not see it, unless I add a row:

DUMMY, DUMMY, WEST

Does this hold true for admin users?

ADMIN, DA123, *

USER, AB456, NORTH

USER, CEf789, NORTH

Does DA123 now see WEST, or is a dummy still required?

Hopefully...the answer is no. Otherwise I am not sure what the purpose of the ADMIN role is.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Hi

the purpose of the ADMIN role is to provide full access to all data without the need for additional dummy entries. You should not need dummy entries for ADMIN users.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Hi

the purpose of the ADMIN role is to provide full access to all data without the need for additional dummy entries. You should not need dummy entries for ADMIN users.

daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

A developer pointed out to me that this is only true for QlikSENSE. On QlikView, the ADMIN role is not applicable and dummy rows must be used.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Security.htm

daveatkins_0-1697032091945.png

This explains my misunderstanding...following our practices from QlikView, I assumed the dummy rows were necessary.