Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
124psu
Creator II
Creator II

Section Access not working properly - looking for guidance

Hi Qlik Gurus,

After researching Section Access, I finally have something (testing purposes) but having trouble understand why my script is behaving oddly.

SECTION ACCESS;

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS,        USERID,           ACCOUNTS,          OMIT
USER,         qlik\drew,                     * ,
USER,         qlik\christina,             1,                     Sales
ADMIN, INTERNAL\SA_SCHEDULER,*,
];

SECTION APPLICATION;

My understanding is you must have section access and section application in the script, all headers must be capitalized/upper case. I'd expect myself (drew) to see all the accounts (accounts 1-5) and have no omits. Instead, I am only seeing Account 1.. I assumed the * asterisk would enable me to see all the accounts.

The other user christina is actually only seeing account 1 which is working very well. I omitted the 'Sales' field for this user but they are still able to see the sales figure.. 

I'm a bit stumped and reaching out to you all for some guidance on what I am missing. Thanks all.

Labels (2)
2 Replies
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

Check below webinar (plus document). it is fantastic for learning about Section access in sense.
https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Sense-Enterprise-Documents/Making-Sense-of-Section-Access-in-Qlik...

In you case as you will see in webinar * doesnt mean give access to everything. * means give access to all the AccountID listed in your section access . so just 1 in your case.
You have to list all the accounts or make your id as admin and leave account empty (pg 5 of the document).
Always backup before testing section access.
e.g.
ADMIN, qlik\drew, ,
124psu
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Wow I'm really liking this guide. Does a super well job explaining complex concepts concisely and easy for novice users like me exploring Qlik. 

I've realized that it will be beneficial to label/tag users to groups and apply Section Access by groups instead of individuals. How do I go about getting this information? I cannot use AD since I don't have the privilege to access that. I don't see anywhere in the QMC where I can manually create groups and tag users to those groups. Can I create something in excel and import that into the qmc to have the groups all set up?

Thanks in advance.