Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rebekah_Hartley
Contributor
Contributor

Show/Hide not working for a user

Hi All

I have an established flexi report that holds a number of fields that can be shown, dependent on what is selected in the menu

The show/hide, works the same way for each field.  A variable holds the main expression, with the field name being called in the variable;

Variable: if(GetSelectedCount([Flexi Field - Measure])>0 and substringcount('|'&concat([Flexi Field - Measure],'|')&'|','|'& $1 & '|')=1,1,0)

The report appears to be working fine for all users bar 1.  Each time I add a new field to the report, this user finds they do not appear for him.  Sometimes it works for him, sometimes it doesn't - there doesn't appear to be any particular pattern or reasoning.  I can both replicate and fix the issue through bookmarks, however the bookmarks only create a starting point and if I replicate the issue and then duplicate the sheet to investigate, the field appears.

This users is using this reporting to build out differing views and is working around this by recreating the reports from scratch everytime, but this is not really something we can ask him to do each time - especially with the volume of reporting his has.

Any thoughts, experiences or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Rebekah

Labels (2)
8 Replies
WaltShpuntoff
Employee
Employee

Try a different browser / incognito mode to see if it is a cache issue.

Rebekah_Hartley
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks @WaltShpuntoff 

Sadly, changing the browser or trying incognito mode made no difference to the users experience

WaltShpuntoff
Employee
Employee

This is definitely a mystery - is there is something going on there that is unique to the user? (aside from the problem)

Section Access? / Other things that make that user unique? / Does it travel with the user - i.e. If you are logged in as them on a different machine does the problem show?

I think the next step is to give yourself something to get under the covers a bit.

Create a sheet that shows the contents of your tables that you are using for the variable columns. This will let you know it the data is actually there or not. Also put a text box on that screen and put a measure in =ReloadTime()

When the problem shows up again - refer to this sheet and see if those things reflect what they should be. I am assuming that your Flexi Field dimension and measures are island tables.

Are they?

Or are they linked to something else?

When the issue shows up, are there specific selections that may be causing the issue?

Does using the browser refresh button make a difference?

Let me know what happens

-ws

WaltShpuntoff
Employee
Employee

Also - if this is a straight table - look into the new version that can be found in the Visualization bundle. It provides users the ability to show/hide columns without using island tables or any logic.

-ws

Rebekah_Hartley
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for your response @WaltShpuntoff

The straight table came in after the flexi table was built using the 'Table' chart option, however for the size of the flexi report, sadly the straight table is just not up to the job as a replacement at the moment.  It does however use island tables.

Section access isn't currently applied on the app, so we can exclude that for the moment.  In terms of what they are doing, they are using a published public sheet with nothing concerning in their actions.  I can replicate the issue if they save a bookmark when the issue occurs, however there is nothing other than the 1 variable that should be determining if it should show or hide.  When getting the issue, we've been able to confirm that the variable is behaving correctly for the user.

The reload time is in the app, but not something checked yet.  Neither have I checked that this is replicated on another machine.  I will get this both checked with the user

Republishing the app alongside the user refreshing or using alternative browsers appears to make no difference.   Also it appears to not be particular to selections made in the app or island tables.   When it does work for the user, it seems inconsistent.  Could it be that the app instance is shared across multiple background servers or similar, and not all have the same version, or one has a corrupt version?  

WaltShpuntoff
Employee
Employee

ComputerName() in a chart will tell you which engine you are running on. Add it to your "diagnostic" sheet.

I am not sure what version/configuration you are running. i.e. # nodes, etc.

-ws

Or
MVP
MVP

Something worth trying - have the user access the sheet in question using the Single Integration API - https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/August2023/Subsystems/APIs/Content/Sense_ClientAPIs/sing... - with an Identity parameter defined. If the issue persists, that should rule out any sort of shared / conflicting sessions. If the issue does not persist, those instead become the primary suspects.

Rebekah_Hartley
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks @Or.  I will look into this as the next thing to try following the users feedback on the diagnostic sheet