cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Miron
Contributor
Contributor

Sort Sales Line Chart by Day/Month Dimension

Any insight on how to fix the following sorting issue?

I have a line chart of "Daily Sales" which compared the sum of sales for a Month/Day range (we'll call this Measure1) against the same period the previous year (we'll call this Measure2). I cannot get it to sort by Month/Day to save my life.  the chart  will sort by Month/Day for any date that has a value for Measure1 regardless if there is a value for the same Month/Day in Measure2 but if there is no value in Measure1, the Month/Day is placed at the end of the chart.

Making the Month/Day value into a number instead of a date will allow to sort correctly until your date range overlaps years. So in the screen shot below we are comparing '2022-24-11 thru 2023-24-03' against' 2021-24-11 thru 2022-24-03' sorted by date shows:

Mark_Miron_1-1679686763416.png

Whereas, if i convert the Month/Day value to a number all the November and December dates get thrown to the end of chart:

Mark_Miron_2-1679687066940.png

Labels (1)
1 Reply
Lisa_P
Employee
Employee

It should be just about logic. Is it a date or is it a string showing Month/Day ?

If it is a string , then try this for sorting:

Sort by expression, Numerically ascending

= (Num(Subfield([Month/Day], '/', 1)) * 12) + Num(Subfield([Month/Day], '/', 2))