Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Strange Section Access mystery

Hello,

We're seeing a strange situation with our Section Access that we've never seen before. 

We have a Subjects table in our database with a field (SubjID) who's data type is (PK, int, not null). The values are straight forward. For example: 

SubjID Name
1 Bob Smith
2 Jim Longley
3 Sarah Whitely

Our section access query is:

SQL select 'USER' as "ACCESS", upper('MYDOMAIN\MYUSERID') as "USERID", '*' as "GROUP", null as "OMIT", SubjID as "Subject"  from Subjects;

Our application body has the following query:

[Subjects]:

SQL select SubjID as Subject, Name from Subjects;

The above does not work; the table is read but I get no access to the data. However, if I change the above query to the following:

[Subjects]:

Load *, num(SubjID,'0') as Subject;

SQL select SubjID, Name from Subjects;

The above does work. Any idea why the internal representation of the Subject field in the Section Access query would differ from the representation of the same field in the [Subjects] table, such that section access works in one case but not the other? 

Thanks,

Steven

Labels (1)
11 Replies
marcus_sommer

Normally a section access should behave in the opposite direction and excluding non-matches. If this didn't happens it might be related to the document-option of "strict exclusion" which is mandatory to implement a real access control and not just a kind of usability. At least that's the working in QlikView - in Sense it might be a bit different but I wouldn't be surprised if it's further there.

Beside of this I could imagine that other section access properties may also impact the behaviour. And also the "normal" document properties - I never checked the following but I think it might have an effect.

A section access isn't applied during the reload else afterwards if such stored application is opened again. Then the section access associations are taken like a selection with the difference that the excluded values are directly dropped from the RAM. To compare the section access values against the ones from the data-set the interpretation of the values in numbers or strings as well as the case will be considered.

If now both parts of section access/application are loaded equally but afterwards happens a change of the interpretation-type of the fields it may prevent the matching. Again relating with QlikView and there within the document-properties are options for each field to be handled like they were loaded which is default-option or being overwritten with another interpretation and if it should be persisting. I'm not sure how and where this setting is stored but I wouldn't be surprised if this is directly added to the field-properties and be already applied by opening the application. 

stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Looks like this was a bug in Qlik which may have been addressed in their latest release (according to the release notes for Feb2024 Patch 4).