Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgivens08
Contributor
Contributor

Writing an IF THEN function

I'll start this ask off by first stating, "I AM NOT A DEVELOPER". If at all possible, please give me the cliff notes, developer for dummies version of an answer. 

Problem: Trying to write an accumulation formula that sums actual cost by month, if the months are in the past then sum and accumulate actuals, and if the months are >= today then sum and accumulate the forecast. Example: Accumulate Jul-Jan = Actuals + Feb-Jun = Forecast. This will appear in a combination chart where the monthly actual/forecast will ultimately show an Estimate-At-Completion. 

I have all elements of this chart except the accumulation line.I have all elements of this chart except the accumulation line.

I've created all of the elements of this chart but cannot create a function to achieve the "accumulation line". 

Please help. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chris_djih
Creator III
Creator III

You can use an if Statement, which is build as follows:
=IF( condition, then, else )

So in your case:
=IF( YourMonthField <= Month(Today()), Sum(Actuals), Sum(Forecast) )
The last hard step is to replace the field names printed here in bold with the correct field names from your data.

If you found help, mark the correct answer and give some likes to ALL contributors, that tried to help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chris_djih
Creator III
Creator III

You can use an if Statement, which is build as follows:
=IF( condition, then, else )

So in your case:
=IF( YourMonthField <= Month(Today()), Sum(Actuals), Sum(Forecast) )
The last hard step is to replace the field names printed here in bold with the correct field names from your data.

If you found help, mark the correct answer and give some likes to ALL contributors, that tried to help.
tgivens08
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Once we finally figured out the correct fields to add and applied the Accumulate Values function, this formula worked like a charm! We've worked on this for months, given up and come back again. Thank you for saving the day Chris!