5, 32, $100

6, 17, $25

7, 25, $32

8, 3, $37

9, 46, $25

10, 48, $17

]

;

I need to create a dimension called 'DayCategory' that "bucketizes" the Days field by ranges (maps the ranges to single values).  The ranges and output values are:

0 - 10     a

11 - 20     b

21 - 30     c

31 - 40     d

41 - 50     e

I will then be using this dimension in a combo chart that has measures on fields ID and Price.

How can I create this new field / dimension in the load script?  I know that the most intuitive answer is to brute-force it with nested if statements.  That won't work for my particular situation, though, because I have far more bucket ranges than what I listed in the dummy data above.  I don't think Pick-Match or ApplyMap will work either because those solutions work for one-to-one value mappings.  I am aware of the Class chart function, but that won't work because I am not measuring on field Days.  So, I'm at a loss.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you need it exactly like your bucket categories then you could use this expression to create a new field in your load statement in the load script:

If(Days>=0 AND Days<=10,Dual('0-10',0),Dual((Div(Days,10)*10+1)&'-'&(Div(Days,10)+1)*10,Div(Days,10)))

View solution in original post

3 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The function Class() should do it for you - like this:

Class(Days,10,'Days',1)

Actually this will have binsize of 10 and your list has the first one with binsize of 11 and the rest 10... so it won't really work exactly as you want. But then again 0 days is not present in your data so why 0-10 ?

skyline01
Creator
Creator
Author

The data I presented is a very contrived simplification of my actual data.  (I am unable to post my actual data for proprietary reasons.)  My actual bin intervals and desired output are:

0 - 90          <1/4 Year

91 - 180      1/4 - 1/2 Year

181 - 270     1/2 - 3/4 Year

271 - 365     3/4 - 1 Year

>365             >1 Year

My actual Day values span 0 to 365+.  I presented a simplification as I thought that any solution proposed would be independent of the actual distribution of data and desired dimension values.  So, I don't think Class() will work for me.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you need it exactly like your bucket categories then you could use this expression to create a new field in your load statement in the load script:

If(Days>=0 AND Days<=10,Dual('0-10',0),Dual((Div(Days,10)*10+1)&'-'&(Div(Days,10)+1)*10,Div(Days,10)))