Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stefano_marson
Partner - Contributor III

pivot table sorting

Hello Gurus,

On Qlik Sense on-premise version November 2023, I would need to set the row dimension sorting of a pivot table by the measure (sum(Sales)) calculated only on the maximum available Year. The column dimension (Year) on the other hand needs to maintain numerical sorting.

stefano_marson_0-1721925454946.png

The option that allows sorting against the first measure of a pivot table only works if there is only one Year selected.

I also tried defining a first measure, to be used only for sorting, of the type:

sum({< Year={‘$(=max(Year))’} >} Sales)

but it doesn't work.

Notes:

- Dimensions in row can change position (e.g., Item before Store), but cannot be moved to columns.

- All combinations of dimensions in row have sales, i.e. sum(Sales) > 0, over all years

Any thoughts?

Thank you very much

Labels (1)
3 Replies
lennart_mo
Creator
Creator

Hi @stefano_marson,

under sorting there should be the option to switch to custom for every dimension. If you do so, you can add an expression to sort by. Your original expression wasn't all wrong except you didn't use double qoutes.

Try using this expression for your row dimensions:

=sum({< Year={"$(=max(Year))"} >} Sales)

Let me know, if this worked for you!

stefano_marson
Author

Hi lennart_mo,

I entered the expression

sum({< Year={"$(=max(Year))"} >} Sales)

for sorting each dimension but it only works with respect to the first dimension

Thank you

lennart_mo
Creator
Creator

Hi Stefano,

It seems that using the expression in sorting Qlik disregards the structure of the pivot table.
In regards to your example table that results in the following:

Looking at the dimension departments as the second dimension:
Instead of calculating the sum for a distinct store, the total amount of sales by a department for all stores is calculated. This results in a sorting as if the department was the first dimension.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to correct the sorting formula so far.