Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prasad_dumbre
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Can we maintain different states or versions for Metadata ?

Qlik Data Catalyst being a new member of Qlik Family, there is a lot of interest getting generated about it. 

To understand it better, please guide on on below queries:

- Can a Individual metadata objects can be assigned to different states ? Example: (draft, in approval, approved etc.) and releases.

- Also, can  metadata be maintained in different versions for different environments ?

- For the meta data repository, does is have standard set of reports with most frequent & best practice views into metadata repository ? Few examples if any. 

- Does it support automatic documentation ?

- Does it support workflows ?  & can it be customized ? (while updating meta data) 

- Can it send email notifications based on changes ?

- What are the standard profiles or roles of its users ?

Please advise.

Thank you,

Prasad

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DaveHowland
Employee
Employee

Hi @prasad_dumbre  , 

Thanks for your questions , Metadata is near and dear to the QDC team.  Let me take them in turn. 

- Can a Individual metadata objects can be assigned to different states ? Example: (draft, in approval, approved etc.) and releases.

Yes, QDC will not only allow Metadata to be captured for "IT" needs AS WELL AS "Business Metadata", separating out the two : QDC will also allow column level Metadata to exist both in Approved and Draft format. 

- Also, can  metadata be maintained in different versions for different environments ?

Yes, QDC Metadata for Prod can be wildly different than the Metadata in Dev, and there a myriad of ways QDC separates them out. Moreover .. QDC Metadata can be imported / exported easily - allowing Metadata to be 'promoted' from Dev to Prod. 

- For the meta data repository, does is have standard set of reports with most frequent & best practice views into metadata repository ? Few examples if any. 

Yes, the QDC Rules engine allows the automatic tagging and application of Metadata to QDC entities / sources and Fields. 

- Does it support workflows ?  & can it be customized ? (while updating meta data) 

QDC has strong workflow designs built in, but those workflows allow for the freedom for Customers to implement their own. To that end, QDC can be thought of as the enforcement part of the workflow and with it's built in Governance engine: it's well equipped to do the job. 

To an extent.  QDC can send email based on the data it profiles, which is powerful in itself. But 'changes' can mean many things and some clarification would be needed, I think. 

Great question - QDC has well defined roles for it's users .. all are laid out here. 
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/data-catalyst/April2020/Content/QlikDataCatalyst/Security/Roles_and_Perm...
Again those are roles that exist today , new, custom roles can also be added if needed. 

As I mentioned before, Metadata is an important component of the QDC Product, and you can find some valuable additional information in our documentation: 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/data-catalyst/April2020/Content/QlikDataCatalyst/Overview/discover-intro...

I hope all that helps, and thanks. 

David 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DaveHowland
Employee
Employee

Hi @prasad_dumbre  , 

Thanks for your questions , Metadata is near and dear to the QDC team.  Let me take them in turn. 

Yes, QDC will not only allow Metadata to be captured for "IT" needs AS WELL AS "Business Metadata", separating out the two : QDC will also allow column level Metadata to exist both in Approved and Draft format. 

Yes, QDC Metadata for Prod can be wildly different than the Metadata in Dev, and there a myriad of ways QDC separates them out. Moreover .. QDC Metadata can be imported / exported easily - allowing Metadata to be 'promoted' from Dev to Prod. 

Yes, the QDC Rules engine allows the automatic tagging and application of Metadata to QDC entities / sources and Fields. 

QDC has strong workflow designs built in, but those workflows allow for the freedom for Customers to implement their own. To that end, QDC can be thought of as the enforcement part of the workflow and with it's built in Governance engine: it's well equipped to do the job. 

To an extent.  QDC can send email based on the data it profiles, which is powerful in itself. But 'changes' can mean many things and some clarification would be needed, I think. 

Great question - QDC has well defined roles for it's users .. all are laid out here. 
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/data-catalyst/April2020/Content/QlikDataCatalyst/Security/Roles_and_Perm...
Again those are roles that exist today , new, custom roles can also be added if needed. 

As I mentioned before, Metadata is an important component of the QDC Product, and you can find some valuable additional information in our documentation: 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/data-catalyst/April2020/Content/QlikDataCatalyst/Overview/discover-intro...

I hope all that helps, and thanks. 

David 

prasad_dumbre
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank you Dave for your time and detailed response. 

Really appreciate  it. 🙂

Take care.

Trott263
Contributor
Contributor

Response was really great but unfortunately it didn't work for my system? Should I post my screenshots here? bcoz I m too frustrated now UPSers

DaveHowland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Trott263  ; 

Sorry to hear that , let me give you three avenues, whatever you like best. 

1- just reply with your problem, a screen shot - and whatever else seems relevant. 

2- open a new case? Not sure how separated yours is from this issue, but wanted to throw it out there. 

3- email me at david.howland@qlik.com .. 

However we can help, we will.  

sapacademy2007
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks Dave for detailed response.

robin98
Contributor
Contributor

I understand your question, I hope. Termstore can hold both managed metadata and keywords. Managed metadata is really not designed for huge datasets like your 1000 project use case. These would more naturally exist as non-hierarchical enterprise keywords (tags) or as you suggest, a list. As long as the list and host site collection security is set up correctly other site collections can consume them to populate lookups of their own design.

Managed metadata is more used to disseminate and control a vocabulary used which warrants structure and hierarchy, which is why it is commonly used to power site navigation and dynamic content queries.