Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Masking - 2. Dynamically selecting the column to be Masked

I am using  tDataMasking component to mask the input columns of a delimited fie. My requirement here is to mask 1000+ files, each with different schema, using Talend job which will identify the column to be masked dynamically for each file. In other words, I don’t want to select the column to be masked  from tDatamasking dropdown for each file. Please let me know if we can achieve this  using tDataMasking or other Talend components. 

Labels (3)
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You will have to use Dynamic schema in this case. You can use a metadata table where you can specify the requirement to mask the data using a flag value. During the fetching of metadata, if the flag value is true, you can mask the data using custom code. An example to do dynamic masking can be explored from below blog.

https://www.talend.com/blog/2019/10/31/magically-shuffle-columns-talend-dynamic-schema/

You will have to modify the flow by adding the masking requirements to it. 

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Nikhil. This post is really helpful and I can now make use of dynamic schema functionality to read various different files.

However, I need further help with Masking step. I wanted to know which component can be used now for masking. The reason I am not picking tDataMasking is due to the column name selection through dropdown. 

Is there any java function which can be used inside tJavaRow to perform static and bijective masking?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Since you are planning for dynamic data masking, tDataMasking will not be the right component for you. stackoverflow will be a good place to get java custom code for data masking.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved