Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parikhharshal
Creator III
Creator III

Masking data in Talend?

Hi all

I gather from few vidoes and blogs that it is possible to mask data using talend in a simple way using few masking related components.

What my requirement though is I want to be able to view unmasked data depending on user role/permission. Is this really possible in Talend?

I am using Redshift for Db.

Thanks

Harshal.

Labels (2)
16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Is your whole idea to mask data but keep a way to retrieve back the original data with user role/permission?

Best regards

Sabrina

Parikhharshal
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@xdshi: Not sure if I understood your question but what I want to be able to do is if normal user logs in then he/she sees masked data whereas admin or someone with higher permission should see unmasked data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thanks for your confirmation. We have redirected your mask data issue to talend DQ experts and will come back to you as soon as we can.

Best regards

Sabrina

Parikhharshal
Creator III
Creator III
Author

That's awesome. Any timeline we are looking to hear back from them?

Sebastiao_Qlik
Employee
Employee

Hi Parikhharshal

Currently, we don't allow to unmask data after they have been masked.

that's something we're thinking about for our future roadmap though.

One possible thing with the actual tDataMasking component is to output the original data along with the masked data.

Then you could build a bidirectional mapping table between the original data and the masked data.

This mapping should be carefully secured but it would allow you to get the masked data from the original data and the reverse.

There may be several ways to do that. One possible way is by using the tMemorizeRow component https://help.talend.com/reader/rflY4_~uVcU8fbet7pa6Qg/AFbitblcOn~5QiQrw5PMSQ

Hope this helps

Parikhharshal
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@scorreia: Thanks a lot for your reply.

Can you pls shed some lights on creating mapping table between original data and masked data?

How then one user will be able access to masked data whereas the user with higher rights accessing unmasked data?
Moe1
Contributor II
Contributor II

I cant seem to find this component (tDataMasking) in Big Data open studio, is it available there or in MDM?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The masking components (like most of the Data Quality components) are not available in the free Open Studio. They are part of the Enterprise versions available through subscription. 

You can have a look at the Talend Components documentation where everything is listed: https://help.talend.com/reader/PEtNf6RuyCZnH5XfH7jFow/jbsq8BiRGozMCA5I9cmH3w

Cheers,

Patrick

Parikhharshal
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@ppeinoit : Thanks for the reply.