Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fn_guennoun
Contributor
Contributor

TOS for DQ issues connecting to database

Hey,
I have a problem connecting from my laptop to a hosted database on a distant server.
I have the Talend Open Studio for dara quality latest version installed on my laptop.
I have a MySQL database hosted on a distant server. and I can access to it via phpMyadmin with an account that has the following privileges : SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, FILE.
How can I preform data profiling on this database?
And what are the required information that I have to use to connect to the database sever in talend DQ?

Thank you.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, it is a network issue or the database server is unavailable on your end, make sure you have installed Mysql database and it is running now. You can execute command telnet IP_address port in command terminal to check if you are able to access the port on distant server.

Regards
Shong

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Under Metadata node In DQ repository, right click DB connection and create a connection, select 'Mysql' as DB type and fill out the required fields such as login, password, server etc, as shown below.

0683p000009MZrq.png

And then, click 'Test connection' to test if the connection is OK or not. 

Regards

Shong

fn_guennoun
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hey Shong, 

I already did these steps, but the connection failed so I figured the information I typed in the fields login, server and password were wrong, or that connecting to a distant server requires another step since all tutorials I found were about a local database.

When attempting to connect to a distant server, what should I type in the fields login, server and port ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi
If you are trying to connect to a Mysql database installed on distant server, change the server field from local to the IP address where your Mysql server is installed, login is the username, the default username is root, the default port is 3306.

Regards
Shong

fn_guennoun
Contributor
Contributor
Author

hey shong

I tried to put the IP address but I'm getting the following error : com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

Tha ping test was successful on my machine.

the skip-networking option is already OFF.

I don't know why the connection failed

What should I do ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please post the full error messages, can you try with Mysql client tool such as workbench to check if you are able to connect to your distant Mysql server?

Regards
Shong
fn_guennoun
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hey, 

here is the error :

Echec de la connexion Vous devez modifier les paramètres de la base de données.
  java.lang.RuntimeException: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:208)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(ExtractMetaDataUtils.java:1146)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:315)
      at org.talend.metadata.managment.repository.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:290)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$67.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:4208)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$67.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:1)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$1.runnableWithCancel(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:77)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$ARunnableWithProgressCancel$1.call(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:161)
      at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
  Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.
      at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
      at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:409)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createCommunicationsException(SQLError.java:1127)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.<init>(MysqlIO.java:356)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.coreConnect(ConnectionImpl.java:2502)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.connectOneTryOnly(ConnectionImpl.java:2539)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.createNewIO(ConnectionImpl.java:2321)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.<init>(ConnectionImpl.java:832)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.JDBC4Connection.<init>(JDBC4Connection.java:46)
      at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
      at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:409)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.getInstance(ConnectionImpl.java:417)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:344)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.DriverShim.connect(DriverShim.java:41)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:199)
      ... 9 more
  Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
      at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.connect0(Native Method)
      at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.StandardSocketFactory.connect(StandardSocketFactory.java:258)
      at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.<init>(MysqlIO.java:306)
      ... 23 more
fn_guennoun
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Connecting with MySQL workbench didn't work. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, it is a network issue or the database server is unavailable on your end, make sure you have installed Mysql database and it is running now. You can execute command telnet IP_address port in command terminal to check if you are able to access the port on distant server.

Regards
Shong
fn_guennoun
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hey
It's a remote access issue from the account I was using to the server.

I contacted the admin to get an account that allows remote access.

Thank you for your valuable help