Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awildan1692170924
Contributor
Contributor

need suggestion on how to use talend proplerly

dear team , i'm new to talend and has been exploring talend product for 3 weeks now

since my job is consultant. i need to know the best practice of using talend,

my goal is to develop customer 360 view for my client

my question is

1. i have confusion on using different kind of talend product. Like for example Talend data integration i can use this for data profiling , so what is the reason of using data preparation if i can do this in data integration like do some profiling inside data integration ?
  2. here my current flow of understanding arond talend product , please correct me :

a.first use TALEND DATA INTEGRATION for etl, connection, data quality

b. export job to TALEND DATA STEWARD for correction on some dispute action

c.create connection from data steward and back to TALEND DATA INTEGRATION( for job execuiion

d.TALEND DATA CATALOG (for lineage of data asset )

kindly need your help for my initial step for journey with talend . thanks in advance

2 Replies
anselmopeixoto
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi @achmad wildan​ ,

Here is my contribution based on my experience with the products you mentioned.

Talend Data Profiling's purpose is to explore data sources and analyze their patterns so you can identify the challenges that the source data will pose to your data integration processes. It can perform simple tasks (such as finding min, max, counting null or duplicate values, etc.) as well as complex statistics like Benford's Law for fraud detection. Additionally, it can create basic Data Quality Jobs to address certain issues in the source data. In my understanding, this tool is intended for technical users.

On the other hand, Talend Data Preparation is a more user-friendly tool meant for end users, such as Data Stewards or Data Analysts. With this tool, not only can you analyze a dataset using a user-friendly interface, but you can also create a recipe to correct the identified issues. These recipes can be reused within a Talend Data Integration Job. Since the end user typically has a deep understanding of the source data, this tool allows them to incorporate business knowledge into the data pipeline with a dynamic approach.

Moving on to Talend Data Stewardship: this tool enables you to create campaigns for data curation. So far, my experience has been limited to using it to notify data stewards whenever a Talend Data Integration Job identifies an issue it couldn't automatically resolve, such as merging data from different sources. This tool provides another means of involving the business areas in the data pipeline.

As you can see, Talend Data Integration connects the pieces mentioned above, while Talend Data Catalog can automatically identify and profile data sources, and outline the steps of data lineage. It also includes some social features that allow end users to comment, vote, and certify data sources. However, although TDC offers data profiling, it isn't as comprehensive as the Data Profiling tool within Talend Studio—at least as far as my knowledge extends.

The following video from the official Talend channel demonstrates a brief demo of how you can utilize some of these tools and others for a Customer 360 initiative:

https://youtu.be/MAOf5VV9WnI?t=1253

awildan1692170924
Contributor
Contributor
Author

hi anselmo, thank you so much for your reply this surely help me to understand better about talend product