Skip to main content
Announcements
Join us on Sept. 17 to hear how our new GenAI Assistant empowers data professionals: REGISTER
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bthompson_nd
Contributor II
Contributor II

What is the purpose of the Null column when defining a schema?

When defining a schema, there is a boolean column available called "Null" which is allegedly there to say whether nulls are valid values for that column. I would expect that this means you get some kind of type error when you pass a Java null into a non-nullable column, just as you get an error if a String column gets an Integer. But this does not happen. What is the purpose of this column? If I want to police nulls in my data flow, what is the least complicated way to do that?

Labels (4)
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

The schema sets the rules, but whether a column is null or not isn't always necessary for all components. You can validate the compliance of the schema using the tSchemaComplianceCheck component. This will identify rows that are not compliant and allow you to deal with them before sending the data to a location where it is important. The slight flexibility in this means that you can code/build to accommodate date that is not perfect within the job.