Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
root
Creator II
Creator II

is MDM the correct product for my needs?

I have been a Talend Open Studio DI/ ESB user for quite some time.

I recently came across a requirement which led me towards MDM. I am trying to read and understand the MDM product, but, I am conflicted if this is the right product for me. Can someone help?

My usecase/ requirement:

• Maintain "master" lookup tables
    • These tables are simple static data which change infrequently. So, any updates made to the master lookup tables need to be logged/ tracked/ flagged so it can be ready to be sent/ pulled from the client
  • Push the changes to the clients from the lookup tables
    • My clients need to pull the changed data with the master and sync the changes (add/ updates/ deletes)

From my understanding, Talend OpenStudio MDM can do both. But, I am not sure. The setup for MDM requires a few moving components, so before I dive into that, I want to know if I am going in the right direction.

So, Any help to clarify this will be helpful.

Thanks.

Labels (3)
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I would say it will be a good starting point for you to store the master data. But please note that MDM application need not be used just to store some lookup tables.

Once you start building a MDM, your business team can allocate data stewards who can add the data to the master data management system through Web UI rather than waiting for a programmer to do it through an insert statement. Another example commonly used in MDM applications is to use Matching algorithms to avoid duplicates in master data and merge them. You can create automatic rules and manual rules for master data merging. 

If you are using Customer data, you can bring them to MDM over a period of time to create 360 degree view of the customer relationship to give them better customer experience. You can connect MDM to other systems to send the data to and from MDM either in batch or real time mode by your existing Talend DI and ESB modules.

So the options are endless and I would say you are going to do a small stepping stone to a new world.

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi

root
Creator II
Creator II
Author

@nthampi

Thank you so much for your insight.

I went ahead and setup TOS MDM and was able to create a data-model for my initial lookup tables and was able to import data successfully. As of right now, my needs are to have a central repo of all static data which needs to be made available for my clients to pull. This will ensure that a consistent data across the board.

This is great. 

• Now, what are my options to serve this data as a REST API to the end users? Does TOS-MDM offer any such capability? 
  • How/ where can I do user management/ Access control?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You can use REST components of the TOS to process REST APIs. But if you would like to have seamless management for data governance and other management activities mentioned in your query, my suggestion will be to use MDM Platform rather than using Open Studio for MDM.0683p000009LznK.png

The details for both products are present in below link.

https://www.talend.com/products/mdm/

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi

root
Creator II
Creator II
Author

@nthampi

Can you please direct me to the Documentation about the available REST apis of TOS MDM? I could not find it (I missed it probably).

This will make it easy for my current needs. I will look into the MDM platform, but not in pipeline at the moment.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Attached the consolidated component list for Talend 7.0

https://help.talend.com/reader/PEtNf6RuyCZnH5XfH7jFow/Ugo4XS8FxBvZflLNsWADCQ

You can get the REST components and scenarios from this list.

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi