Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

More than one QDF?

Hi,

We have a customer that have a prod and a testserver, these are installed on 2 different servers. On prod we use a fileshare where we have all applications, testserver use folders on local server. Instead of install one QDF on each server, shouldent it be the best to use fileshare and "repoint" mounted folders in QMC-test to use fileshare. Than I dont have to care about the path in my QDF. Or is it better to have 2 different QDF and move the whole container between the servers?

5 Replies
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Staffan, As QDF automatically re-creates the "path" every time the script runs (we call these global variables vG.) you can move the containers and/or apps between QDF environments without need of modifications in the script. So our recommendation is to have separate QDF instances for test and prod.

Best regards
Magnus

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Hi Magnus,

But if I create a variable in test that I use in my app during test and then I move the apps to Prod, that variable wont work in Prod enviorment, or?

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

You should use the global variables given to you by the framework (to access folders), then your app will work when moving to prod. Example vG.QVDPath points to the 2.QVD folder inside the container that hosts the app, independent on were the container is located (\\server\qdf\.. or c\qdf..:). Look at the 1-8 video series to get more information regarding this. Hope this helps, regards

Magnus

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Yes I understand, but if the variable not is a path, its an expression created by a SET in Variable Editor. This will be in the application and the Variable Editor at test. When I move to Prod it will still be in the app but not in Variable Editor, or I´m I wrong here?

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Then you also need to promote the 3.Include\1.BaseVariable\Custom.Variables.csv file from test to production container. Regards

Magnus