Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Build job for tRestRequest and OSGI Bundle

We would like to use Talend to build a REST based file transformation service but do not want to jump through hoops ( running jobs in ESB,etc ) and would want the most easy, light-weight build and deployment way possible.
I would like to understand the build/deployment options for jobs made with TOS. It appears that if I use tRestRequest, I can only choose "OSGI bundle for ESB". This generates a .jar which has dependencies in the ESB Runtime. I could find no way to run the OSGI bundle directly as a stand-alone java app or deploy in Jetty. Of course, I can deploy this .jar into TESB and run it but this is just too heavy-weight for us.
Are these hurdles present in the paid Enterprise edition too ? Specifically, if I had the Enterprise license , could I at least generate a runnable artifact ( or .WAR ) for a tRestRequest job ? 
Thanks,
Prakash
Labels (4)
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Prakash
The Axis webservice has been deprecated both in paid enterprise edition and community edition, the SOAP or Rest webservice is designed to deploy into Talend Runtime which is based on Apache karaf in Talend Data Service product. 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Prakash,
OSGi world is usually about reusability and dependencies. To expose services in the Talend ESB (and the Apache Karaf infrastructure generally) the CXF and built in Jetty is leveraged so the bundle with business logic can be very lightweight (inside the ESB container). As far I recall the older Talend ESB versions could export a standalone applications bundling all libraries inside, but the bundles themselves were very large, heavy and having hardcoded dependencies.
So even Talend could export jobs as standalone apps, for the web services (exposed by the tRestRequest component) I'd advice you to run the ESB container. I understand it can be heavy to run it for a single service (especially when you already have some app servers running), but as the number of services grows and you use the ESB as ESB (for routing, security, transformation, etc) it will pay off..
Gabriel
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Shong and Gusto.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Shong and Gusto.

Agreed!Thanks!