Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Data masking and anonymization using Talend

I have a requirement to migrate data from a source database to a destination database. Also, we want to make sure some of the confidential data like passwords, phone numbers etc., should not be exposed in the destination database. We are planning to use talend data integration tool for this requirement, but I couldn't find out any information related to data masking in user manual.
Could someone please let me know if we can perform data masking/anonymizing using talend?
Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.
-Satish
Labels (2)
16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Dear Sabrina,
Thanks for the input. It is very interesting for future purposes. At the present time, my question is about how to replace values from input tables/files randomly with values of fake data tables. I have been checking possibilities with Talend, but I don't have that much experience with the product, so I didn't find a concrete solution.
The scenario is the following:
- in input I have 2 different tables and one xml file that contain the fields id, first name, surname and date of birth.
-I have a table that is populated with invented ids, first names, surnames and dates of birth
With Talend, for the same id (2 tables and the xml), I obtain the same fake values in the output (2 tables and the xml) with the help of components or routines.
I have been looking at possible solutions and I guess the java routines will play an important role in this kind of job, because I didn't or couldn't find a specific component/s that would achieve my purpose.
Could you help me with this?
Thanks in advance
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
The scenario is the following:
- in input I have 2 different tables and one xml file that contain the fields id, first name, surname and date of birth.
-I have a table that is populated with invented ids, first names, surnames and dates of birth
With Talend, for the same id (2 tables and the xml), I obtain the same fake values in the output (2 tables and the xml) with the help of components or routines.

Could you please elaborate your case with an example with input and expected output values?

Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
My post was treated as spam, so I had to upload it as images.
Thanks in advance for your help and support.
0683p000009MEMS.gif 0683p000009MEFr.gif
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
Would you mind taking a look at a use case about Implicit tContextLoad in this forum: https://community.talend.com/t5/Design-and-Development/resolved-Iterate-through-a-list-of-URL-s-for-... to see if it is satisfying your needs?
Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Everyone,
I saw a lot of suggetions, but does anyone has put in practice some example of Data Masking with Talend? I am trying to read and understand how Data Masking works to implement with Talend.
I really appreciate any help
Regards
tYrannoSaurusRex_1
Contributor III
Contributor III

You cannot expect Talend to identify email Addresses and phone nos. automatically to mask them. But you can mask specific keywords using tReplaceList.
Let's say you have comments column in your file wherein you want users to hide specific keywords likes Account, Phone, Email or Password. It can be done.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,
I am really new to the Talend open studio version 7.0 technology, and I am currently working on an "anonymization" project for the tables. In my STD they ask me to anonymize on several tables.
In the management rules
- Replace the string by 5 characters randomly generate followed by the string "archives"
ISO code case: Replace the string with "FR"
Case of the email: Replace the chain of characters email by "archives@archives.com"
IBAN code case: replaces the string with: "BL679999999999999999999934"
I do not know how that component does the job.
thank you for your collaboration I would be very grateful
Thank you