Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vincent5
Contributor
Contributor

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: JVMCFRE003 bad major version;....OFFSET=6

Hello,
we were in version 5.2.2 of Talend using JAVA 1.6 and we have just migrated to version 6.4.1 of Talend.
I retrieve our different projects that I import in this new version of Java (SVN).
The Studio works with version 1.8 of Java but for each project, the compilation version is in 1.7. (project properties).
We export Talend jobs that we run on a Unix server (AIX) in JAVA 6.
It does not work, I have the message I put in the subject.
I have seen several exchanges in the community on this topic and, it is better to mount the Java version of the unix server. But is there not another way to mount the Java version of the unix server?
If we have no choice but to mount the Java version of the unix server, would version 7 suffice?
This error message is a problem with Java version? Version 6 is not compatible with version 8?
Thank you for your answers.

Regards,

Vincent

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vincent,

If you have clearly defined both paths to Talend job, it will definitely work.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The compatible Java version for Talend 6.x versions is Java 1.8. If its any other versions, you may get error.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂

vincent5
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi,

I would just like to know when I switch my unix server in java 1.8, will my Talends jobs still in my old version Talend V5.2.2 compile in Java 1.6 still be able to run?
We have old unix servers and when I do java -version, I get: java version "1.1.8"
My JAVA_HOME variable is: JAVA_HOME = / usr / java6
Is it enough to create a directory for JAVA 1.8 and change the JAVA_HOME variable for Talends V6 jobs to work?

Regards,

Vincent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vincent,

The most clean method is to install the two versions in separate systems or separate EC2 instances (in case you are using AWS Windows EC2 machines). If you are using same machine to install both versions of Talend, then you need to make sure that you need two versions of Java in your machine. Also each Talend version should be mapped to correct Java version.

Often this method will create issues and confusion during later point of time. Personally, I prefer a clean and separate machines for using both versions of Talend.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

vincent5
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, just one last question.
Will Talend compiling JAVA 1.6 jobs still be able to run smoothly on a unix server in java version 1.8?

Regards,

Vincent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It will not run there also because Unix is just an Operating system. If you are pointing a Java 1.8 from Unix system, it will still have issues for Talend job because underlying Java codes will be looking for Java 1.6 even in Unix.

Hope I have answered your query.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

vincent5
Contributor
Contributor
Author

HI,

I am not a JVM expert but if I create a java directory 1.8 on the unix server and I point my Jobs TALEND V6 on this directory (via JAVA_HOME) and I keep the directory JAVA 1.6 and my old Job will continue to to point to it (via JAVA_HOME), it will not work?

Regards,

Vincent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vincent,

If you have clearly defined both paths to Talend job, it will definitely work.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi