Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flatten hierarchy - Iteration on left outer join

Hello.

I have a table (from json) which have 3 columns:

id    |    description    |    parent_id

001   |        Toys       |     (NULL)

002   |      Vehicles     |       001

003   |        Cars       |       002

...   |         ...       |       ...

I need to flatten this hierarchy structure.

One way I can think of, is first doing self join on the parent_id and id, then keep doing left outer join with the original table, until the output with the last column all NULL.

The result should look like the below:

id    |  description  |  parent_id  |   parent_id_1  |   parent_id_2  |

001   |      Toys     |    (NULL)   |     (NULL)     |     (NULL)     |

002   |    Vehicles   |     001     |     (NULL)     |     (NULL)     |

003   |      Cars     |     002     |       001      |     (NULL)     |

...   |       ...     |     ...     |       ...      |       ...      | 

How can do this in Talend? Or is there any other easier way to flatten such hierarchy?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I wrote this a long time ago as an experiment (https://www.rilhia.com/tutorials/talend-connect-example). It is very much along the same lines as what you are attempting. It may work, but it is tricky and was only written to see if I could do it.

The problem you have is that you need to use recursion for this and that is something Talend doesn't handle all that well. You *could* write a recursive routine to do this and return a comma separated list representing your hierarchy. After that you would split that up into different columns using a tMap. I'd probably opt for something like that if I had to do solely inside Talend.

Another way to do it would be to load the data into Oracle and carry out a connect by prior query. Of course that only works if you have the environment to do it that way. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I wrote this a long time ago as an experiment (https://www.rilhia.com/tutorials/talend-connect-example). It is very much along the same lines as what you are attempting. It may work, but it is tricky and was only written to see if I could do it.

The problem you have is that you need to use recursion for this and that is something Talend doesn't handle all that well. You *could* write a recursive routine to do this and return a comma separated list representing your hierarchy. After that you would split that up into different columns using a tMap. I'd probably opt for something like that if I had to do solely inside Talend.

Another way to do it would be to load the data into Oracle and carry out a connect by prior query. Of course that only works if you have the environment to do it that way. 

prabinpatroc1
Contributor
Contributor

The link you have provided is not working. Can I see the solution in any other ways ?