Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarora1
Creator
Creator

Git - Is there a way to see what changes are made before adding and committing it to your local branch? git status?

When using git while writing code, I am used to this workflow before a commit

git status - to confirm the changes. I may have some debug code which I may not want to commit. So this step is final check what I am about to commit
git add
git commit
git push  

Is there a way to have similar workflow when using git in Talend? Most importantly git status. Common scenarios why I need this:

- Run job with log4jLevel set to Debug

- Hard-coded value in one of the context variables while debugging

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

So far, you can view the commit history of the project specific to the current branch or tag from your Talend Studio when you are working on git project.

Here are online documentations about:TalendHelpCenter:Viewing the project history specific to a branch or tag (Git only) and TalendHelpCenter:Git operations what Talend Studio does behind the scenes

Best regards

Sabrina

sarora1
Creator
Creator
Author

That's not what I am asking. I am looking for git status and git diff functionality, which happens before committing anything. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm not sure we have such a feature that you could get git status and git diff functionality, which happens before committing in talend. I will redirect your issue to our PMs and experts and then come back to you asap.

Best regards

Sabrina

sarora1
Creator
Creator
Author

It seems like Talend doesn't work with Git the way one would expect it to be. The power of Git comes from its branching model and Talend implements branching as sub folders. That is just wrong.

If Talend really wants to enable organizations to use git functionality then they need to do 2 things: implement git branching same way as git does, and second, figure out a way to show real code changes not the movement of components as a change. Until then, you make developers life difficult because we can't tell what changes have been made, and what I am about to commit.