Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Expose Excel Hyperlink URL as Text

New Member here... apologies if I'm missing something obvious.
I have a MS Excel input file with a column that contains a Hyperlink URLS. So what you see / is visible within the cell is "Hello World", but there is a URL link within that text that contains " https://helloworld.com".
What I need to do is exposed the embedded URL from this column as text. After which I can parse text string to extract a key value.
After doing some research, believe I can do the parsing via "tExtractRegexFields". What I have not been able confirm is now to expose the hyperlink URL as text so I can parse.
Any thoughts or suggesting?
Thanks,
Don Miller
Labels (2)
13 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

you can used tFileInputExcel and then use tMap to make key pair value. hope this will help
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I will check, if the Apache POI API provides the actually URL link. If I succeed with it, I can provide a solution.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I have added the necessary capabilities to my component tFileExcelSheetInput.
You need also the component tFileExcelWorkbookOpen
http://www.talendforge.org/exchange/index.php?eid=663&product=tos&action=view&nav=0,1,1
http://www.talendforge.org/exchange/index.php?eid=623&product=tos&action=view&nav=0,1,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks so much for the enhancement Jlolliing. Can you point me to some written instructions on how to apply the new features to my installed instance on my PC?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Here is a help article about installing user components.
https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Installing+a+custom+component&content-lang=en
I recommend using the Exchange feature in Studio in case of you use the open source edition.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jlolling,
So within Talend Open Studio, went to the Exchange link downloaded "tFileExcelWorkbookOpen" and "tFileExcelSheetInput".
Installed "tFileExcelWorkbookOpen" first. Then "tFileExcelSheetInput".
In can search and see "tFileExcelWorkbookOpen" on the Palette under File/Spreadsheet. But unable to search or find "tFileExcelSheetInput".
Any suggestions?
Don
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Please describe the steps you followed to install the component. Did you used the Exchange view in studio or did you followed the instruction in the article?
The best and reliable way is using the exchange view.
Let us assume you installed the components in the user component folder (e.g. c:\user_components) then check if you have sub dirs with the name of the components. The article unfortunately does not explain you have to extract the zipped component file with the included directory.
After coping the components into the user component folder you have to open your preferences: Talend->Components and click on Apply even if you have changed nothing and the path was already correct.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Please check the directory (here the path on my computer):
/Volumes/Data/Talend/TOS_DI-r105421-V5.4.0M1/plugins/org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_5.4.0.M1_r105421/components/ext/exchange
In this dir you should find for every installed component a directory.
BTW which Talend release do you use?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I'm using Open Studio TOS_DI-Win32-r104014-V5.3.1 via the "TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe".
Loaded the components via the "Exchange" link within Open Studio.
See the 2 installed component directories here:
C:\Talend\TOS_DI-Win32-r104014-V5.3.1\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_5.3.1.r104014\components\ext\exchange
One exist for the tFileSheetInput:
C:\Talend\TOS_DI-Win32-r104014-V5.3.1\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_5.3.1.r104014\components\ext\exchange\tFileExcelSheetInput
Here the tFileExcelWorkbookOpen:
C:\Talend\TOS_DI-Win32-r104014-V5.3.1\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_5.3.1.r104014\components\ext\exchange\tFileExcelWorkbookOpen