Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayot
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to manage null value with tFilter

Hi, I have a problem handling null values in my tFilter.

My tFilter condition :

( input_row.COMPANY_CODE.equals("31") || input_row.COMPANY_CODE.equals("14") )  && !(input_row.DESCRIPTION.equals("SUB-TOTAL :")) && !(input_row.DESCRIPTION.equals("TOTAL :"))

I have this error ODS_BALANCE_CSV_TEMP - tFilterRow_3 null

there're null values in the columns of the table that I'm trying to filter. Before I had a classic filter but since I need to combine the conditions OR and AND, I have to do it in java.

How to overcome this problem?

Thank you

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iamabhishek
Creator III
Creator III

You could use the Advanced mode of tFilterRow and have your java code filter out the NULL records.

0683p000009LzKC.jpg 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You will have to assign either true or false for the null condition by catching them. Please see the screen shot below for a simple example.

Here, if the input data is coming as null, then we are converting it into either true or false based on the condition. You will have to do null check condition before going to equal condition clause. Then it will work fine.

0683p000009LzK2.pngIf you think the suggestion given has helped you, please mark it as acceptable solution.

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi

iamabhishek
Creator III
Creator III

You could use the Advanced mode of tFilterRow and have your java code filter out the NULL records.

0683p000009LzKC.jpg 

Mayot
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for you explanation 0683p000009MACn.png
Mayot
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks, it works fine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nikhil,

I tried your syntax for passing through a null field and asking for a filter.   I wrote it like this

(Relational.ISNULL(input_row.Reason_Code)?true:false) && !input_row.Reason_Code.equals("334"))

It's still providing a null pointer exception.   Do you know what the issue could be?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nevermind I figured it out.  I had the parenthesis in wrong spots