Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to split columns to rows dynamically

Dear all,
i am newbie in Talend Community and i would like to achieve a dynamic split of columns to rows.
We have the following Excel, which would need to be splitted:
Excel Input (headers & data)
DateKey/TimeInterval/Germany/France
11.08.2016/00-01/10/20
Output (headers & data):
DateKey/TimeInterval/CountryName/Value
11.08.2016/00-01/Germany/10
11.08.2016/00-01/France/20
So basically i am transposing (unpivoting) the Country part, with the value. I have found out that the "tSplitRow_1" does the trick, but it is not dynamic. Just to elaborate the Country part is of course dynamic, apart from "Germany" and "France" could be any other one, also the sequence of the Countries can be different.
Are there in Talend any other components that would help me achieve my goal or must java code be embedded? If you have any examples in this respect i would also appreciate it.
Thank you and cheers,
Peter
Labels (3)
7 Replies
Bruno_LIMA1
Contributor
Contributor

That's what  tNormalize is supposed to do. Never used it myself.
gl !

Note : it's not exactly what it does because your case if very uncommon. You're asking for a dynamic schema and I really don't know if it's possible.
Edit 2 :  http://bekwam.blogspot.fr/2011/06/dynamic-schemas-in-talend-open-studio.html
That's what I thought : you need Java to do that.
Bruno_LIMA1
Contributor
Contributor

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi IBashar,
thank you for your answer, yes indeed java development would be needed. Did you attach the zip, since i cannot reach it/download it.
Thanks & regards.
Bruno_LIMA1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi
I did, no idea why it didn't work. I'm at home atm, don't have the zip. I'll try again monday.
Bruno_LIMA1
Contributor
Contributor

Updated my post, the upload seems to have worked this time.
It's from a version 6 Talend btw.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi IBashar,
i have the same problem as Nitewalkr and tried to import your sandbox project in Talend 6.2, but i didn't managed it. Do you have a hint for me how I can use your sandbox project?
Thanks & regards
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi IBasher,

Could you please the sample source file which is used in this case?

regards,

Raghul