Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue connecting to MS SQL Server engine instance

I came across the following issue, when connecting to MS SQL Server databases
If there are more, than one database engines running, one can specify which one to connect to in the "Additional JDBC Parameters" of tMSsqlRow with "instance=<database instance name", e.g. "instance=SQLEXPRESS" for the default instance of MS SQL Express.
See screenshot below.
This works fine, if there are more than one database engine instances running on SQL server. However surprisingly this does not work any more, if there is only one instance running. In that case one has to specific "" in "Additional JDBC Parameters" to succeed connecting to the database. This is a little bit awkward, because my job should connect to different database servers, with each of them having one or more than one instances running. My current workaround is to selectively fill "Additional JDBC Parameters" correctly using a context variable, with a context choosen depending on the target database. However this is quite a source of errors.
Did anyone come across this problem? Is there a better way to connect to the right SQL server enging, or is this maybe a bug, that needs fixing?
Many thanks in advance!

Labels (3)
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi MarkusL,

Could you please upload your screenshot into forum again? We cannot see it on our side. What's the error info you are facing?
More information will be helpful for us to address your issue quickly.

Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sorry, I have some issues with attaching screenshots too. 
* This is where I specify the database instance, that I want to use: Screenshot (2)

* As said, this works fine, if there is more than one instance. If there is only one instance (exactly the one, that I specified), I get the following error. It's basically the same error as in case of wrong database name: Screenshot (1)

* The exactly same job works fine,
- if there is more than one database instance - which actually demonstrates to me, that the job should be ok
- or I enter "" in the "Additional JDBC parameter"

Screenshot (1)
0683p000009MGa1.png

Screenshot (2)
0683p000009MGa6.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,
* The exactly same job works fine,
- if there is more than one database instance - which actually demonstrates to me, that the job should be ok
- or I enter "" in the "Additional JDBC parameter"

The setting of  screenshot (2) is correct.
Do you mean you cannot connect to MS SQL Server when set  Additional JDBC parameter="instance=SQLEXPRESS"?

Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sabrina,
first many thanks for your fast response and for relentless support in this forum, that helped me already a lot!
To clarify my request:
* My job works:

Additional JDBC parameter set to            Data base setup
                  --------------------------------------          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case #1     ""                                                          One single SQL server database engine instance "SQLEXPRESS"

Case #2     "instance=SQLEXPRESS"                        Two SQL server database engine instances "SQLEXPRESS" and another one

In Case #2 specifying the database engine instance is mandatory to successfully connect to the datbase

* My job does NOT work:

Additional JDBC parameter set to            Data base setup
                  --------------------------------------          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case #3     "instance=SQLEXPRESS"                         One single SQL server database engine instance "SQLEXPRESS"

And this is the issue case, because I would like to have "instance=SQLEXPRESS" set, regardless how many instances are running on the server, including only the one and only.

Markus
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for your clarification which is very clear for us.
Could you please indicate on which official product build version you got that?

Best regards
Sabrina
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Software environment:

* TOS_ESB-win32-x86
Build id: V5.6.2_20150508_1414

* Windows 8.1

* Microsoft SQL Server Express (64-bit)
Build 12.0.2000.8

I will most likely migrate to Talend win64 v6.0.0 soon and will report back to this thread, if this issue persists or vanishes.